Can you "Match" tied results when rematching geocoded addresses?

Jump to solution
06-06-2019 11:17 AM
Tim_Ultee
New Contributor III

I am geocoding a table with city and state fields using ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2. Most addresses matched correctly but I have about 45 results left in the "Tied" tab that I can't switch to the Matched tab.

When I select a tied address that isn't the first option, I can click the green check mark button to "match" the address and move it from the "Tied" to the "Matched" tab. However if I want to select the first address the check button is grayed out and I can't remove the feature from the "tied" tab.

I don't know how important this is, but from my reading it seems like you should be able to finish geocoding with every feature in the "matched" tab. Is this a bug or am I doing something incorrectly?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tim Ultee‌,

Based on the screenshot, it looks like you're using the World Geocoding Service, is that correct? 

Even though the result comes back as a tie, if the correct candidate was chosen, that should be the point displaying on the map, so you shouldn't have much to worry about there. However, you can go into the geocode result's attribute table and change the value in the Status column from "T" to "M" to register this as a match instead of a tie. 

Additionally, with ArcGIS Pro 2.4 there will be additional settings on the Rematch Addresses pane, including options to Unmatch, Auto Rematch, and Match All Selected. I just tested the same input you are working with (City=Rochester, State=New York), and while this comes back as a Tie, if you select the record in the attribute table and then hit Match All Selected, it will change the record from a Tie to a Match (Status value will change from U to M):

Looks like you could also hit Unmatch (icon with the red back arrow) to unmatch it, and then hit Match (icon with green check mark) which will set this as a match instead of a tie.

I hope this helps!

Eric

View solution in original post

3 Replies
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tim Ultee‌,

Based on the screenshot, it looks like you're using the World Geocoding Service, is that correct? 

Even though the result comes back as a tie, if the correct candidate was chosen, that should be the point displaying on the map, so you shouldn't have much to worry about there. However, you can go into the geocode result's attribute table and change the value in the Status column from "T" to "M" to register this as a match instead of a tie. 

Additionally, with ArcGIS Pro 2.4 there will be additional settings on the Rematch Addresses pane, including options to Unmatch, Auto Rematch, and Match All Selected. I just tested the same input you are working with (City=Rochester, State=New York), and while this comes back as a Tie, if you select the record in the attribute table and then hit Match All Selected, it will change the record from a Tie to a Match (Status value will change from U to M):

Looks like you could also hit Unmatch (icon with the red back arrow) to unmatch it, and then hit Match (icon with green check mark) which will set this as a match instead of a tie.

I hope this helps!

Eric

Tim_Ultee
New Contributor III

Thanks for your response Eric. I don't have the "Unmatch" or "Match All Selected" options, but it sounds like that's because those options are introduced in 2.4.

As you said, the auto-selected option is the location shown on the map so this isn't a big deal; it just seemed like a bug not to be able to select "Match" and remove the location from the "Tied" list.

Thanks for the suggestion to change the attribute table status from "T" to "M" though; I hadn't thought of that as a work-around. I just updated the attribute table and the Tied tab disappeared (my OCD thanks you).

0 Kudos
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

My pleasure Tim!

Simply changing the value in the Status field is probably the easiest solution for now, but keep your eyes open for those new options in the Rematch Addresses pane coming with ArcGIS Pro 2.4, which should hopefully be coming out sometime this month! 

0 Kudos