Can you edit the appearance of leader lines in ArcGIS Pro?

05-10-2018 06:17 AM
KristynMcClure
New Contributor

In ArcGIS Desktop, you can easily edit leader line symbols of labels or annotations. It doesn't seem to be as easy (or even possible at all) in ArcGIS Pro. I'm specifically trying to make the leader lines in ArcGIS Pro be angled like the ones in capture1, attached, but I can't figure out how to edit them. It seems there is one default (a straight arrow, see capture2) and you can't change the style anywhere... Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

14 Replies
AnnaSan1
New Contributor III

I am having this problem as well. I can't figure out how to make a custom line with an arrow symbol of my choice. I have noticed you can't even even customize the shield symbols for road number annotations.

In ArcMap, you were able to customize the color, background, and layer symbols to create a road shield. In Pro, it seems you are just struck with what the shield comes with. Sure, you can change the color, but there isn't a way to outline/mask the dang shield so it can stand out. I am ending up creating the symbols I want in ArcMap, saving it to a style and then importing it in that way. Very in convenient.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Kristyn,

If you use a 'Background' callout you can choose a leader line style.

Mark

DanMacDonald
New Contributor

Mark would you tell me where this is?  I am trying to use this with annotation 

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

On the label tab - label placement properties.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Mark, 

How do you get the background call out? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Never mind that question. I found it. 

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

How do you customize the leader if you've converted your labels to annotation? 

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

@Kara_Shindle  It's somewhat of a maze to get to - select the annotation, open attributes (R click>attributes or Edit tab>attributes), select Symbol, and open up Callout. Not very intuitive in my opinion, but some options are there.

I have yet to figure out how to change where the leader hits the label - it seems to pick corners or midpoints of your box without any user control.

Tags (2)
RobertWagner3
New Contributor II

Thank you for this- agreed on it being a maze. Easier access and finer control (as you can sort of do with "Composite" would be nice.