Can you Create a Space Time Cube with irregular time intervals?

Jump to solution
04-13-2021 11:17 AM
Labels (1)
Alec
by
New Contributor II

I am trying to make a Space Time Cube from a Multidimensional Raster Layer,  and have followed  this ESRI tutorial to a t. (https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/analytics/explore-your-raster-data-with-space-t...) I keep getting the error "110300: The Input Multidimensional Raster Layer contains irregular time intervals. The data could not be binned into regular intervals of <value>". The rasters that make up my Multidimensional raster are, as it says, not at an equal time interval.  When I change their dates to an evenly spaced time interval, the space time cube works... Is there really no way to have a space time cube without having perfectly paced apart data?  Any insight would be awesome. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LynneBuie
Esri Contributor

Hi @Alec ,

Glad to hear my blog article is helping you out, but sorry you are having trouble with the time intervals. Yes, it is a requirement of the space-time cube that the data has equal intervals. The space-time cube is used with statistical tools in the Space Time Pattern Mining toolbox. These statistical methods, such as those used in Emerging Hot Spot Analysis or the Time Series Forecasting toolset are based on the assumption that each time bin has equal intervals. hence if the intervals are not equal, the results may be incorrect. 

Hope this helps!

Lynne 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Notable Contributor

How Create Space Time Cube works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

You could always propose it as an Idea

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LynneBuie
Esri Contributor

Hi @Alec ,

Glad to hear my blog article is helping you out, but sorry you are having trouble with the time intervals. Yes, it is a requirement of the space-time cube that the data has equal intervals. The space-time cube is used with statistical tools in the Space Time Pattern Mining toolbox. These statistical methods, such as those used in Emerging Hot Spot Analysis or the Time Series Forecasting toolset are based on the assumption that each time bin has equal intervals. hence if the intervals are not equal, the results may be incorrect. 

Hope this helps!

Lynne 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Alec
by
New Contributor II

@LynneBuie Thank you for the response, it definitely answers my question ! And thanks for the thorough blog post as well.

0 Kudos