Can we force Pro to not automatically save all edits, and make you acknowledge them?

Jump to solution
06-28-2021 10:30 AM
Labels (1)
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

ArcMap.  You can open table and field calculate on an attribute outside of an Edit Session. However, it will prompt you that you cannot reverse it calculation once you have done it.

In ArcGIS Pro this is not the case in all edits.  

You can change a setting that forces you to toggle the Edit button to start editing.  

But you can create multiple features, update tables, and make thousands of changes. The save and discard button stay grayed out. 

RobertBorchert_0-1624899718865.png

Is there a way to adjust editing in Pro so you have to acknowledge every single safe, just like ArcMap?  I would like to use Pro more. But for reasons just such as this it is not suitable for serious GIS editing.

Even with the settings as shown below the system instantly adds my edits to the database with no turning back. 

RobertBorchert_1-1624901395301.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

By chance are you using Non-versioned editing?  If so, this is expected behavior.  If you're doing versioned editing, then save/discard is available.  Same for fGDB's and shapefiles.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

By chance are you using Non-versioned editing?  If so, this is expected behavior.  If you're doing versioned editing, then save/discard is available.  Same for fGDB's and shapefiles.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

We have gone with Un-versioned Data for much of our data being used in Portal and edited in the field.  Your answer makes sense. I tried it with one of our versioned dataset and it works the way it should.  

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

But for reasons just such as this it is not suitable for serious GIS editing

Define serious editing. 

I stopped using ArcMap nearly 2 years ago as we area Pro-only shop.   I spend an awful lot of time editing various data sets; some in file geodatases, some in Enterprise geodatabases, and some as services. 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Adding multiple points, lines, or polygons to a map. Many basic functions in Pro may require several more clicks of the mouse than are required in ArcMap. 

Running a query  on a set of points, pan to the first point and make some edits. Run the Query again, but you have to hit the Select Tool to see the result in Attributes because the Modify Features stays active. 

etc...

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @RobertBorchert 

FYI in the next release of ArcGIS Pro (2.9), you will be able to perform a query (ex. select by attributes) without an active edit tool filtering the selection. Thanks for the feedback!

-Scott

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Thanks, truly that is something that should have been on release #1

0 Kudos