Can't save ArcGIS Pro Project - SaveProjectAsync Failed

05-12-2016 01:27 PM
RyanCooper1
New Contributor

I've been working on a project in ArcGIS Pro 1.2 today. After a day of successfully being able to save my project, I am now unable to do so. Each time I try to save I am given the following error ProjectService::SaveProjectAsync Failed.

arcgis-pro-no-save.JPG

I have taken the following measures:

• Restart ArcGIS Pro
  • Uninstall and reinstall ArcGIS Pro
  • Restart my computer
  • Create a new copy of my project

Following each of these measures I have reopened ArcGIS Pro, panned the map a little and then tried to save. Each time, I have received the above error message.

The project I'm working on is fairly simple and has made use of some of the basic geoprocessing tools. Looking back at the time between my last save and this error, I'm having trouble recalling any unusual processes or methods I used. Other than importing a feature class into my project geodatabase, most of the work has involved clipping and styling the datas' symbologies.

I apologize for some of the vagueness on the moments leading up to this error. If there's some useful bit of information that would help to solve this, I'm happy to hunt it down. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
22 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from here Save a project—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop I take it you aren't working with everything locally stored.  Have you tried saving to a new name, moving the location and other options as suggested in the topic.  Alternately, have you tried incrementally adding data and saving between additions to see if it is a data element that is causing the problem

0 Kudos
RyanCooper1
New Contributor

Thank you for your response and apologies for being so slow to get back! I tried all the things in the linked page, but to no avail. However, I was curious about your non-locally stored data issue. I removed my connections to our SDE databases and that seems to have cleared things up. Oddly, I didn't actually have any data from SDE in any of maps at that point. Strange! Alas, I've re-established my connections to our SDE databases and saved. All seems well again! Appreciate your help, Dan!

BillSlocumb
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have the same issue and, with the exception of uninstall/reinstall, have tried what Ryan posted and what was have read the help link Dan recommended.

Also, I have not made any SDE connections or mapped any network drives.  I check my user permissions and even granted localhost\USERS access to the folder(s).

Any other suggestions or leads?

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
LaszloKatona
New Contributor II

When I add raster layers to my project (sourced from the local drive) and create raster functions, I get this error.  After removing the raster layers and the related functions, the project saves again. I still haven't figured out if it is the raster layers or the functions that are preventing the project from saving.  If I get a chance to test it further and can provide a definitive answer, I'll re-post.  In the meantime, this may help.

0 Kudos
BillSlocumb
New Contributor II

I called Esri support yesterday and they hadn't seen the error posted in

the thread. My issue (yes I know...I was hoping this was fixed, I should

have known better), was I used a space in the path to the file

geodatabase. However, the behavior was inconsistent: Previously, I had

successfully saved my project with data referenced in a file geodatabase

with a space in the path name. Check your paths and use underscores or

CamelCase is all I can say.

--Bill

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I curse the day that spaces and other flotsam were allowed in path names.  It surfaced its ugly head when working with esri grids.  There are other conditions to meet, particularly if working with python Filenames and file paths in Python The path to enlightenment is the enlightenment about paths.

LaszloKatona
New Contributor II

Following on from my previous comment, I checked all of the file paths and have no spaces to or within the project.  I re-added some rasters and continued to save the project each time I generated a hillshade using the raster functions tab.  It worked fine.  I then exported a table and when I tried to save the project, it failed.  I removed the hillshade functions and the project saved.  This is an odd situation, since it allowed me to save immediately after creating the hillshade functions but failed after a while - something might be happening to lock the filespace where hillshade and other faster functions are being saved (?), which makes a subsequent save fail.  It would be good to know where the results of functions are stored (or if they are saved at all).  I thought in 10.3 they were saved to a default geodatabase on the client. 

Laz

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Interesting ... you said 'client' does this behaviour occur with locally stored data and processes?

0 Kudos
LaszloKatona
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Yes, in my situation all data in the project is on the local computer.  Since removing the raster functions enabled the project to save, I am thinking it may have something to do with that, but since I am not sure exactly how raster functions work in ArcGIS Pro, (where temporary raster function files are stored, if at all) I'm at a loss to troubleshoot further.

Regards,

Laz

0 Kudos