Can't login to ArcGIS Pro, login screen stays empty?

Jump to solution
02-12-2020 01:53 AM
DanielHess
New Contributor

Hello,

i am not able to use ArcGIS Pro. It runs with a named user license, but i am not able to login to my account because the screen with the gui stays empty (see screenshot.).

Things i tried:

- Reinstall ArcGIS Pro, install updates manually, install different ArcGIS Pro Versions, Install/Deinstall Data Interop Center

- Use different default web browser

- Update Windows 10

- Multiple PC restarts

- uncheck "Sign me in automatically"

- Stop Antivir/Firewall

I don't have any further ideas what i could try... maybe someone could help?

Greetings and thanks

Daniel

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
41 Replies
HoiwangLei1
New Contributor

u are a genius.

0 Kudos
MelodyPhillips
New Contributor

YOU AND YOUR BOYFRIEND ARE AN ANSWERED PRAYER!!! HOLY MOLY!!

I have spent a few months struggling with computer issues that have kept me from finishing my graduate project--which is due at the end of April. My husband finally just bought a new laptop, and then I ran into this lovely 2.7 bug. I cannot tell you how many hours I have wasted clean uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling... THIS worked. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for sharing!

0 Kudos
KarlMarx1
New Contributor

Hi Yunmei,

Still, I am facing the issue. May I know how did you get at least the social media buttons to solve the problem?

kind regards

Karlmarx

0 Kudos
yunmeiHuang
New Contributor II

I randomly click the blank page and could find the shape change of the mouse.  Then click at any place I could click and the page would change. I will try to record my next login process and share it with you during the weekend. It's been a while I don't need to re-login. 

ThreeTwoFour
New Contributor II

That didn't work for me... the interface was not only blank but non-responsive except if I git the Facebook or Google buttons. I was able to get logged in with @gisgeeknorth's SignInFromBrowser workaround.

0 Kudos
yunmeiHuang
New Contributor II

Now, I don't have any problems with login after updating the system and ArcGIS pro. 

0 Kudos
gisgeeknorth
New Contributor II

Yunmei,

Thanks to you and your boyfriend, this also helped me.  In addition, I also got a workaround from Esri Canada's Tech support.  The issue is due to the fact that at 2.6 the Explorer components (deprecated by Microsoft) have been replaced with Chromium components, and these are blocked in some systems.

Now - while the above solution works, at Pro 2.7.2 (there's a patch) you can use a Registry modification to force logins in a separate browser. As always, be very careful with registry modifications!! 

If you can go to Pro 2.7.2, and you have permission to modify your registry, the following worked for me...

1. Click Start > Run
  2. Type regedit in the Open box and click OK.
  3. Browse to the following registry key
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Online For Pro\SignIn​​​​​​
  4. Right-click SignIn, and click New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
  5. Name the key SignInFromBrowser
  6. Right-click the key, and click Modify.
  7. Modify the key Value data to 1, and click OK.
    • Note: To disable, set the key Value data to 0 or remove the key. 

This worked for me - the login to ArcGIS from Pro is sent to a browser window.

JoshGrail
Esri Contributor
As @gisgeeknorth mentioned this method will work around the reported blank sign-in issue if you use ArcGIS Online as your licensing portal, however this will not allow you to sign into Portal for ArcGIS. We encourage anyone encountering this issue to reach out to Esri Support for further troubleshooting
0 Kudos
gisgeeknorth
New Contributor II

Thanks Josh. Sorry I did not specify. I did not try it with ArcGIS Enterprise / Portal, in this case I'm only connecting to ArcGIS Online as the active sharing portal. The copy of ArcGIS Pro that is acting up this way is actually licensed with a Single Use license. Not sure if that has anything to do with it (would seem odd). 

gisgeeknorth
New Contributor II

More on this. Again, with help from Esri Canada Tech Support, another registry update seems to have solved the issue for me - for both ArcGIS Online sign in and for ArcGIS Enterprise (portal) sign in. As before, use caution when editing your registry (consider a backup), and I realize not everyone has the admin permission to do so. But this worked for me.

First, in my case, I had to change back the earlier registry change I made (you many not need to do this):

If you changed it, go back to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Online For Pro\SignIn​​​​​​

and set the value data to 0 for the SignInFromBrowser key.

Next, try this:

Find the following: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics\

Set the value data to 1 for the DisableHWAcceleration key (you will likely need to create this key as a DWORD 32).

This will disable hardware acceleration on the machine, so I don't know what impact it may have on other applications!

When I created this new key, the Sign In window worked in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2 for both ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise Portal. I have not tried it, but if you are worried about the impact of this change, you could change the registry setting, set and sign in to your portals in Pro, and then set the registry value back...

This will revert back to the non-browser sign in method.

0 Kudos