Can .lyrx files open ArcGIS Pro like .lyr files do for ArcGIS?

03-31-2017 02:30 PM
AndrewPratt
New Contributor III

We have a HTML based portal page that lists common corporate datasets using .lyr files that point towards the appropriate data source (SDE, REST services etc.) This works slick as users simply click on the layer they want and it gets added automatically to ArcGIS Desktop if it's open and if not opens it and then adds it. I can't seem to replicate that functionality with Pro?

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

When you do the conventional 'open with' and associate *.lyrx files to ArcGISpro.exe... it simply opens the ArcGISpro dialog asking you which project you want to open.  Everything is basically project based, so if you are expecting *Pro to open a map view and have the *.lyrx open there... then I haven't seen or found a way

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also  what version of ArcGIS Pro are you  using?

Beginning with ArcGIS Pro 1.2, layer files (.lyrx) and layer packages (.lpkx) created with any version of ArcGIS Pro 1.x can be added to a map. However, layer files and packages created using ArcGIS Pro 1.2 or a more recent version of the software cannot be added to a map in an ArcGIS Pro 1.0 or 1.1 project.

Add layers and layer packages to a map—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Think Location
0 Kudos
AnthonyIerulli
New Contributor II

I want to click on a link to a .lyrx file from a SharePoint page and have the layer added to an open ArcGIS Pro project.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There's a related enhancement request from June 5, 2020 asking for this functionality that I think is very similar to what's being requested here.  If an ArcGIS Pro project is already open, it adds the *.lyrx to an open Map View.  Else if AGP is not open, it starts an AGP and adds the *.lyrx to a new Map View.  Current AGP workflow is double-clicking a *.lyrx file in File Explorer, it starts a new AGP project regardless of an open AGP session or not.

ENH-000131830 : Requesting the ability to open the .lyrx file in the same session of ArcGIS Pro when clicking on the .lyrx hyperlink from the identify tool window.  

0 Kudos
AnthonyIerulli
New Contributor II

Thanks Robert. Do you know if the enhancement has been accepted and will be implemented? Is there an ETA for the functionality?

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I don't see anything in the internals as far as when this enhancement request will be implemented but the Tech Review is complete.  That's all I can see now...