Can I just copy ArcMap files from an old computer before importing into Pro?

Jump to solution
11-18-2020 11:57 AM
user91745
New Contributor II

I'm running ArcGIS Pro on a new computer, and need to import ArcMap files from an older computer. Can I just copy whole folders on the older computer to a USB drive, then copy them onto my new computer, and import from ArcGIS Pro? Or will Pro get confused by different paths embedded inside the MXD files? If it does get confused, couldn't I, in theory, use a text editor to manually fix the paths inside the MXD files? I think the new paths will be very close but not exactly the same.

p.s. I don't think it matters, but both computers are Macs, and I run ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro inside Parallels Desktop (not Bootcamp).

Thank you. I thought I'd solicit your collective advice before I give it a shot....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If the paths are relative to the location of the project then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you get the red ! mark, then you will need to fix the paths, but usually when you fix the location of one file the others will follow suit.

The only time you will have a mess is when you are accessing data from several locations and the new path structure bears little resemblance to the old.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If the paths are relative to the location of the project then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you get the red ! mark, then you will need to fix the paths, but usually when you fix the location of one file the others will follow suit.

The only time you will have a mess is when you are accessing data from several locations and the new path structure bears little resemblance to the old.

... sort of retired...