Can a folder be specified when sharing from ArcGIS Pro to Portal?

Jump to solution
03-07-2017 06:38 AM
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi there,

When a service is published from ArcGIS Pro to Portal for ArcGIS, it's automatically stored in the Site/Root folder of the Portal and in ArcGIS Server.

Is it possible to specify the ArcGIS Server folder that the service will be published to (traditionally our layers have been organised by folders in Server)? If not, is this something that might happen with future releases of Pro?

I understand why the service is published to the Root folder, as it's expected for the administration/organisation of layers to happen in Portal and not Server. If this is the case, why do I still have to navigate to the Server Manager to delete services and they can't be done from Pro or Portal (deleting from Portal appears to just remove the shared instance, not the service itself):

Failed to delete

Any information would be appreciated

Carmel

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Carmel - I've seen the service location in ArcGIS Server mentioned a few times. I can't speak for the product team, but in my mind I wouldn't think this is something they will include. Since access and organization takes place at the Portal level, organizing service in Server doesn't make much difference. I see Server (at least the hosting server) as a behind the scenes engine dedicated to powering Portal.

When publishing to Portal, you can designate the folder of 'My Content' for the item to be placed. Do this by clicking on the yellow folder next to the Name of the item. You can browse to a folder and assign a name to the Map/Feature layer.

Is your server federated and designated as a hosting server? I have that set-up and my services are removed when I remove a Portal item. I think the only time I saw where services were not automatically removed is when ArcGIS Server wasn't federated with Portal.

-Adam Z

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Carmel - I've seen the service location in ArcGIS Server mentioned a few times. I can't speak for the product team, but in my mind I wouldn't think this is something they will include. Since access and organization takes place at the Portal level, organizing service in Server doesn't make much difference. I see Server (at least the hosting server) as a behind the scenes engine dedicated to powering Portal.

When publishing to Portal, you can designate the folder of 'My Content' for the item to be placed. Do this by clicking on the yellow folder next to the Name of the item. You can browse to a folder and assign a name to the Map/Feature layer.

Is your server federated and designated as a hosting server? I have that set-up and my services are removed when I remove a Portal item. I think the only time I saw where services were not automatically removed is when ArcGIS Server wasn't federated with Portal.

-Adam Z

CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Adam,

That makes sense.

Our Server is federated but it's not set as the hosting server - this will be something we'll do in the future and we'll bear your point in mind.

Thanks,

Carmel

0 Kudos