Calculating Width of Multiple Parcels In ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
09-13-2019 12:37 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there away to calculate the width and breadth for multiple parcels in ArcGIS Pro.? I have over 100 parcels and I would like to know the width and breadth of each one of them. Measure tool works but I can't do it for every parcel since it's inefficient. Calculate geometry gives the entire length, I only want width of one side, and breadth of the other sides. Dan Patterson

arcgispro 2.4‌ #arcgispro‌

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you have an advanced license, you could use Polygon to Line and Split Line at Vertices in a pinch.

Split Line At Vertices—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

would require some trolling the attribute table to summarize the lengths, but it is a start.

I will look for some code samples and report back

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Minimum Bounding Geometry—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

If your plots are more or less rectangular, then one of the two rectangle by area or width should do it.

If you need the actual side lengths, then that may require some coding.

Give the above a try first, the table will contain the axis information.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dan, thank you for the prompt response, I need the actual side lengths. Can you point me to any code sample I can use, I would like to use the weekend to research this. Thank you once again. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you have an advanced license, you could use Polygon to Line and Split Line at Vertices in a pinch.

Split Line At Vertices—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

would require some trolling the attribute table to summarize the lengths, but it is a start.

I will look for some code samples and report back

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I knew this rang a bell..

/blogs/dan_patterson/2019/08/08/free-tools-polygons-to-lines-or-segments 

I wrote "4 split at vertices" in this toolset in the conversion section.  The GitHub link is at the bottom of the page.

Just make a folder (no space in the path), copy/download the files to that folder, add the toolbox in that folder and give the 4th conversion.

Basically what it does is blows up polyline and polygon features into from-to x,y pairs, assigns an id to the resultant features and creates a segmented polyline.

It replicates most parts, plus some, of the not-so-free Advanced tool

Feature To Line—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much Dan. This works. You are the best 

0 Kudos