Calculate the area of a raster dataset with cell size in degrees

Jump to solution
06-23-2021 02:14 PM
ZoeChen
New Contributor III

Hello everyone, how do you calculate the area of a raster dataset with 0.00025-degree cell size when you don't plan to re-project it to a projection with a unit in meter? I thought about using zonal geometry as table, after running, it gave me this: I did not know what's the unit of the area column. Did Arc just simply square the cell size of 0.00025 so that each pixel became 6.3*10^-8? Then that seemed to be ridiculous to me...I am confused, please help! (notes: I am not allowed to reproject this dataset so that it will not be distorted; and 0.00025 degrees is about 30 meters). 

ZoeChen_0-1624482541794.png

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ZoeChen
New Contributor III

Thank you Waffle_House, by avoiding re-projection, we tried to prevent any possible distortion...But I think projection might be a necessary step before area calculation? Because that would give us a cartesian coordinate system to work with rather than a geographic coordinate system? The raster I am working with only has GCS, it's not projected..

EugenioArima
New Contributor III

I think what you want to do is something similar to Matlab's areaquad function. I wrote a Python script that does something similar to that in Arcpro (in pdf format).

0 Kudos