Calculate population of a commuter zone from county population statistics

Jump to solution
10-11-2021 10:00 AM
JScott
by
New Contributor

Hello Everyone!

First time poster here.

I am trying to build a variable using Commuter Zones and county populations, and am hoping you can guide me to the most straightforward way of doing this.

I have IPUMS NHGIS Data on total populations by county loaded into ArcGIS, as well as county shapes and 2010 Commuter Zones loaded.

My goal is to connect all three sources of data and calculate the total population of a polygon (the commuter zone) which would be the sum of the county populations that lie within it. 

Following this, I may like to subtract the population from a smaller zone (like  a CDP) from the commuter zone population.

How do I accomplish this? I have tried to scour ESRI help pages, but have not been able to accomplish this.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best,

Josh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

psb a post containing my proposed solution to what you describe.  This is by no-means an exact solution, as there is the central assumption that population is equally spread across the county.

Re: Determining population inside a polygon - Esri Community

You can do this using the Tabulate Intersection (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation tool.

Input Zones Features - your commuter zones

Input Class Features - Your county polygons (assumed you've already joined your population data table to the feature class shapes) (also ensure you make the join permanent by exporting the data after joining).

Sum Field - Population number field from your county features.

This would give you the number of estimated persons per intersection of each zone and district.

Each zone may return multiple rows (i.e. 1 for each district it intersects) so you would have to add those row values together.

This is also all based on the assumption that the population is evenly distributed within each district - something you can't avoid unless you have more data e.g. residential dwellings or urban area polygons, then also again you have to make the the assumption that population is evenly distributed within each urban area or residential point and so on and so on...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

psb a post containing my proposed solution to what you describe.  This is by no-means an exact solution, as there is the central assumption that population is equally spread across the county.

Re: Determining population inside a polygon - Esri Community

You can do this using the Tabulate Intersection (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation tool.

Input Zones Features - your commuter zones

Input Class Features - Your county polygons (assumed you've already joined your population data table to the feature class shapes) (also ensure you make the join permanent by exporting the data after joining).

Sum Field - Population number field from your county features.

This would give you the number of estimated persons per intersection of each zone and district.

Each zone may return multiple rows (i.e. 1 for each district it intersects) so you would have to add those row values together.

This is also all based on the assumption that the population is evenly distributed within each district - something you can't avoid unless you have more data e.g. residential dwellings or urban area polygons, then also again you have to make the the assumption that population is evenly distributed within each urban area or residential point and so on and so on...

0 Kudos
JScott
by
New Contributor

Thank you so much! It worked! Your steps helped immensely!

0 Kudos
JScott
by
New Contributor

One more question:

Is there a simple way I can match the CZ codes to the smaller polygons (Counties or CDP codes) that reside in it? 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Spatial Join’s hidden trick or how to transfer attribute values in a One to Many relationship | Esri...

That blog will show you how to perform a spatial join to match multiple instances of intersections. 

Also if the original question is answered, could you mark it as an accepted solution please?

0 Kudos
JScott
by
New Contributor

Absolutely. Thank you!

0 Kudos