Calculate percentage of overlap for individual features within shapefile

Jump to solution
06-30-2021 03:04 PM
ChristopherPeske
New Contributor II

I have a shapefile (A) that contains multiple features. I want to calculate the percentage overlap with another shapefile (B) that contains a single feature and display the results by feature in Shapefile A. So I want to say Feature 1 is overlapped X% by shapefile B, Feature 2 is overlapped X% by shapefile B, etc. Is there a tool for this? I am using ArcGIS pro 2.8.1 and have an advanced license. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As per Dan's suggestion, Tabulate Intersection tool should work. It will give the result value in percentage of overlap as well.

JayantaPoddar_0-1625120083669.png

If your aim is to get the percentage of overlap of the classes (Area of Overlap per Class/Total Area per Class), you should keep the Shapefile A as the Input_Zone Features (Define the Class field or equivalent as the Zone Field). Shapefile B would be the Input Class Features.

Think Location

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try

Tabulate Intersection (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

It will give you the areas, you can calculate the percentage by joining the table back to the original and calculate from there in a new field.

... sort of retired...
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As per Dan's suggestion, Tabulate Intersection tool should work. It will give the result value in percentage of overlap as well.

JayantaPoddar_0-1625120083669.png

If your aim is to get the percentage of overlap of the classes (Area of Overlap per Class/Total Area per Class), you should keep the Shapefile A as the Input_Zone Features (Define the Class field or equivalent as the Zone Field). Shapefile B would be the Input Class Features.

Think Location