Calculate Distance between Related Features

Jump to solution
05-17-2021 11:25 AM
Labels (3)
JustinNettleton1
New Contributor III

I work with Address data that goes into a Computer aided Dispatch system. I am calculating a field in my Address Points that takes the Feature ID number for the corresponding street layer with the same name and puts it into the address layer for routing purposes. What I am trying to do is calculate the distance between the address point and its corresponding street segment to make sure I am using the correct street for routing and it didn't t populate the wrong ID into my address field.  

Do any know the best way or tool to do this?

Thanks, 

Justin Nettleton

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not sure of an ArcGIS tool that does that out of the box, but you might want to experiment a bit with making selections in your address point feature class and your street centerline feature class based on street name and then apply the Near tool.   Once you figure out the workflow, you could script it with arcpy.   

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Bernadettede_Leon
New Contributor

Justin,

I'm not certain if you have access to the tool Near, but it should do what you need. See https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/near.htm.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not sure of an ArcGIS tool that does that out of the box, but you might want to experiment a bit with making selections in your address point feature class and your street centerline feature class based on street name and then apply the Near tool.   Once you figure out the workflow, you could script it with arcpy.   

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
Bernadettede_Leon
New Contributor

Justin,

I'm not certain if you have access to the tool Near, but it should do what you need. See https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/near.htm.

0 Kudos
JustinNettleton1
New Contributor III

Thank you both. This worked.