CAD to Geodatabase tool crashes ArcGIS Pro ver 2.9.0

Jump to solution
11-18-2021 10:12 AM
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

Just upgraded to 2.9.0 and a .APRX I had been using to verify some CAD data crashes whenever I try to open it.

In a completely new .APRX whenever I try to access the same CAD files, Pro crashes

this happens whether I drag and drop the .DWG into a map or use CAD to geodatabase

I'm also unable to open the .DWG in Catalog pane - simply clicking the carrot next to teh DWG is enough to crash Pro at version 2.9.0

Screenshot 2021-11-18 130823.png

Can anyone else confirm? Should I revert to 2.8.3?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

I narrowed this down to one particular DWG file in my environment - tested on a 2.8.3 Pro project and it loaded fine, but the same DWG still crashes Pro at 2.9.0

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

from your other post

updated to ArcGIS Pro ver 2.9.0; still being promp... - Esri Community

If you get your install corrected and you still have an issue, you can try to have someone else... or Tech Support.... try to open the file.  That will rule out issues with the file and your installation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Melissa_B
New Contributor

A coworker and I have also encountered the same crash with CAD files in 2.9.

We reported it to ESRI tech support and sent a project package with a faulty CAD link. I assume they'll be working the fix for it into 2.9.1.

I've reverted back to 2.8.3 since we ended up encountering multiple issues that resulted in crashes with 2.9 and it was disrupting our workflow.

wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

Clean uninstall/reinstall fixed the issue I was having where Pro continued to ask me to update even after i had already updated (i had another post for that topic)

but the issue with CAD files persists - I'm going to try to verify that it's not the DWG files themselves, but I'm glad to hear it's not just me.

0 Kudos
JLyon
by
New Contributor II

I uninstalled 2.9 and went back to 2.8 and the same .aprx files that crashed in 2.9 open right up in 2.8.

Guessing will not wait until a patch or next update before moving forward. I am guessing DWG files causing some issues, as the projects crashing contained locally stored DWG files.

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

I narrowed this down to one particular DWG file in my environment - tested on a 2.8.3 Pro project and it loaded fine, but the same DWG still crashes Pro at 2.9.0

JLyon
by
New Contributor II

thanks for the update, I may go an remove all the DWGs from my projects and test in 2.9 and reload as needed. Good luck.

0 Kudos
LesSherrill
New Contributor

Does the 2.9.1 patch fix the issue with adding a CAD drawing?

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

Please see my solution above - I narrowed the issue down to a problem with the particular DWG I was using, not the 2.9.1 update (it has its own issues that I mention in another post)

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

Good news!  Unless everyone has already figures it out.  If new arrivers have arrived I assume it's because you installed 2.9.0 and tried to open a DWG?  It is true that some DWGs work and some don't in 2.9.0 (wierdly?). 

Just for reference, the DWGs will not open, but more specifically when trying to drop down the <filename>.dwg in the Catalog to display Polyline, Polygon, Anno...etc. you get the spinning deal and/or an Error.  Here is what a functioning DWG dropdown should look like:

Screenshot 2022-04-21 091316.png  

As with @wilcow some DWGs opened, others displayed the buggy behavior.  Then I simply updated from 2.9.0 to 2.9.2 and the problem was fixed.  

SO! 2.9.0 = bad  / 2.9.2 = good.  So far at least...