Bulk import SVGs to Shape Markers and add to .stylx?

Jump to solution
09-28-2021 09:30 PM
caleb-thomas-smith
New Contributor II

Hi all!

I have a symbol dictionary that I would like to import to Pro and create a shareable .stylx file. I have all 2,325 symbols (wayyy too many to do manually!) as individual SVG files, and I've been trying for hours to find a way to bulk import these, instead of doing it manually. This post seemed promising for a while, but then I realized that it required the actual symbol image to be in Pro already.

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this? Or do you know of a way to do this through ArcPy or something similar? I think that part of the complicating factor is because SVGs become CIMSymbols (?), but I haven't been able to find anything about conversion.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

12 Replies
DanielStephen
Esri Contributor

Ok, it's updated and should work in 2.8 now. Sorry about that! You'll have to delete the old one from your computer and download/install it from the same link again. 

caleb-thomas-smith
New Contributor II

That did the trick - thank you SO much again!

0 Kudos
Stefan_Thorn
Occasional Contributor II

Nice Add-in. 

I also have found this Add-In on GitHUB and it also works perfect but needs some more efforts! Used it in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3

Https://github.com/Esri/military-features-data/tree/csm/%23296-update-stylx-creation-process

1. Download and unzip (keep dir name as downloaded 'military-features-data-dev' otherwise the add in does not work);

Follow the instructions. https://github.com/Esri/military-features-data/wiki/Creating-Dictionary-Renderer-Style-Files 

- I just copied my svg files and sub folders to the stated folder.

- use the the csv file that is mentioned as template to build up your own csv in excel. make sure it is comma delimited

- you can copy this csv file into the stated folder, no problem if there are more csv files because with the add in you will choose this one.

0 Kudos