Select to view content in your preferred language

Bulk import SVGs to Shape Markers and add to .stylx?

Jump to solution
09-28-2021 09:30 PM
caleb-thomas-smith
Occasional Contributor

Hi all!

I have a symbol dictionary that I would like to import to Pro and create a shareable .stylx file. I have all 2,325 symbols (wayyy too many to do manually!) as individual SVG files, and I've been trying for hours to find a way to bulk import these, instead of doing it manually. This post seemed promising for a while, but then I realized that it required the actual symbol image to be in Pro already.

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this? Or do you know of a way to do this through ArcPy or something similar? I think that part of the complicating factor is because SVGs become CIMSymbols (?), but I haven't been able to find anything about conversion.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

14 Replies
richardgraczyk
New Contributor

Is there an update for those working in 3.x? 

richardgraczyk_1-1724512902308.png

0 Kudos
richardgraczyk
New Contributor

Disregard, thanks for the update on GITHUB

0 Kudos
DanielStephen
Esri Contributor

Ok, it's updated and should work in 2.8 now. Sorry about that! You'll have to delete the old one from your computer and download/install it from the same link again. 

caleb-thomas-smith
Occasional Contributor

That did the trick - thank you SO much again!

0 Kudos
Stefan_Thorn
Frequent Contributor

Nice Add-in. 

I also have found this Add-In on GitHUB and it also works perfect but needs some more efforts! Used it in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3

Https://github.com/Esri/military-features-data/tree/csm/%23296-update-stylx-creation-process

1. Download and unzip (keep dir name as downloaded 'military-features-data-dev' otherwise the add in does not work);

Follow the instructions. https://github.com/Esri/military-features-data/wiki/Creating-Dictionary-Renderer-Style-Files 

- I just copied my svg files and sub folders to the stated folder.

- use the the csv file that is mentioned as template to build up your own csv in excel. make sure it is comma delimited

- you can copy this csv file into the stated folder, no problem if there are more csv files because with the add in you will choose this one.

0 Kudos