Bug when a registering datastore for Branch Versioning

Jump to solution
12-01-2021 08:46 AM
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

I am stumbling along learning about Branch Versioning. At the stage of publishing (Share As Web Layer), I needed to register the datastore. I pulled up Manage Registered Datastores and created a connection to my SQL Server. Doing it that way fails (error 00231). 

Workaround: if I push on and try to Share As Web Layer, let the error happen in Analyze, and then in the Options ellipsis for the 00231 error message I select Register Data Source With Server then it works.

In each case, a connection string (that you cannot edit) is displayed. They look like this.

• Created by official documented process, does not work:
SERVER=cc-thesql;INSTANCE=sde:sqlserver:cc-thesql;DBCLIENT=sqlserver;DB_CONNECTION_PROPERTIES=cc-thesql;DATABASE=gis_sandbox;USER=sde;VERSION=sde.DEFAULT;AUTHENTICATION_MODE=DBMS
  • Responding to error message, works:
SERVER=cc-thesql;INSTANCE=sde:sqlserver:cc-thesql;DBCLIENT=sqlserver;DB_CONNECTION_PROPERTIES=cc-thesql;DATABASE=gis_sandbox;USER=sde;AUTHENTICATION_MODE=DBMS;BRANCH=sde.DEFAULT

So that's it, a bug in the official workflow and a workaround. Apparently the bug can only create "traditional versioning" connections.

It took me most of the day to figure that out, then I pressed on at 16:45 and found I could not add the new services to my map. That's what I am working through today. I think I have found more bugs in 2.9+10.9 in the last three weeks than any release since ArcMap 8.0.

I'm testing in ArcGIS Pro 2.9, maybe they just added this. I did not work with Branch Versioning before.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I think I have found more bugs in 2.9+10.9 in the last three weeks than any release since ArcMap 8.0.

I suggest not using pro 2.9 and roll back to 2.8.# or 2.7.# (Not .0)  We did a pilot project with branch versioning a few months ago, and it worked splendidly.  I cannot remember what version of enterprise we were testing but I don't think it could have been 10.9; must have been some flavor of 10.8.

All that said, once you get those wrinkles ironed out, I think you'll find that Branch Versioning rules while Traditional Versioning drools...

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I think I have found more bugs in 2.9+10.9 in the last three weeks than any release since ArcMap 8.0.

I suggest not using pro 2.9 and roll back to 2.8.# or 2.7.# (Not .0)  We did a pilot project with branch versioning a few months ago, and it worked splendidly.  I cannot remember what version of enterprise we were testing but I don't think it could have been 10.9; must have been some flavor of 10.8.

All that said, once you get those wrinkles ironed out, I think you'll find that Branch Versioning rules while Traditional Versioning drools...

Brian_Wilson

This morning I attended the What's New in Parcel Fabric Feetup and what I got was

2.9 requires 10.9.1 and I have 10.9

2.8 requires 10.9 and won't work with 10.9.1

Maybe they made upgrades 2.8 -> 2.9 a little too easy?

I wonder if that's documented someplace, I could not find it. Except in this Feetup today.

I rolled back to 2.8 and was able to load up my new branch versioned feature layer. I did not have to delete it and recreate it, publishing at 2.9 was okay, just could not use it afterwards in 2.9.

Thanks Joe and thanks Esri Parcel Fabric people.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

@Brian_Wilson - there is always a lag with the various components when working with so many different pieces.  We have an unwritten rule of Current Enterprise - 1.  It's a hassle when you start tossing in things like parcel fabric.  So many moving parts...

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

But but but what about all those warm friendly Esri people in the webinar saying "Here's the latest release, we can't WAIT to see what you do to it!", I can't disappoint them?

They also say "That's a very interesting question! Go to the Ask The Experts island."

Also it's sort an unwritten part of my job to test things and decide when to upgrade.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

LOL...  I've made a career out of disappointing warm and friendly ESRI people! I've only got 17 working days left until retirement and I bet there are a few that will be happy to see me go!

Also it's sort an unwritten part of my job to test things and decide when to upgrade.

Very, very wise.

0 Kudos