Bringing Text from Wikipedia into a Popup

Jump to solution
11-29-2021 09:02 PM
JanetRogers
Occasional Contributor II

I am interested in bringing text from Wikipedia and displaying it in a popup.  (This is a map of the world and I want a country summary from Wikipedia to appear in a popup).  I am able to get the text via the Wikipedia API reasonably successfully (eg "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&titles="+ CountryNameField +"&prop=extracts%7Cpageimages%7Cinfo&pithumbsize=400&inprop=url&redirects=&format=json&origin=*") however, I can only create a link to this text and not bring it in to the popup for display.  

If anyone can point me to information that will enable me to do that, I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, what you're looking to do is make a URL request and parse the response, something that's a bit outside the scope of Arcade's capabilities. This may be possible with some JavaScript in, say, a custom web map, but I don't think it's possible in Pro.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, what you're looking to do is make a URL request and parse the response, something that's a bit outside the scope of Arcade's capabilities. This may be possible with some JavaScript in, say, a custom web map, but I don't think it's possible in Pro.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JanetRogers
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for your reply.  I had done a lot of research into the popups and could not see any way to do it, but, as a last resort thought I would post here in case I had missed something.  It looks as if it can't be done easily.

0 Kudos