Branch version dirty area returns on reconcile.

Jump to solution
07-15-2021 07:18 AM
Labels (2)
Steve_Salas
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I am new to branch versioning and I have created a topology in my data.  In my test data/feature service, I have a fully validated topology in the Default version (no dirty areas).

In a child version, I made spatial edits that resulted in a dirty area.  I validated the dirty area and saved.  If I reconcile this version with Default, the dirty area returns.

I validate the dirty area again and save, no other edits made.  And then I reconcile with Default again and the dirty area is back.  There have been no other versions posted to Default during this time. 

I don't recall this occurring in traditional versioning so is this expected in branch versioned editing?  Or did I missing something when creating this?  I think we are on enterprise 10.8.1 and I created the data using Pro 2.7.2... but have since upgraded to Pro 2.8.0 and this continues to occur if I retest those steps above.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We see the same behavior. We're still not sure why it's happening, but we work around this by simply doing all of the validating on the Default version.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We see the same behavior. We're still not sure why it's happening, but we work around this by simply doing all of the validating on the Default version.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Steve_Salas
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @jcarlson - interesting indeed!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Someone else I discussed this with wondered if the act of posting edits was itself a kind of edit, from the perspective of the topology. A bit over my head, but I can sort of see the logic there.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
StefanDieters1
New Contributor III

This looks like known behavior: See: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/topologies/dirty-areas-created-as-a-result-of-the...

the step by step examples in the related page are very helpful: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/topologies/error-features-and-versioned-feature-c...

I was able to partially code out the situation by checking for dirty areas after making any changes and validating on default, and checking again  ... messy and never super reliable. That was with ArcMap