Select to view content in your preferred language

Best way to share a Mosaic Dataset (raster imagery) externally

06-09-2022 12:16 AM
ASw93
by
Occasional Contributor

I have a Mosaic Dataset that is made up of over 10,000 raster images.

I am wondering what the optimal method is for sharing this with someone external to the company. I know that a Mosaic Dataset has to be provided along with the actual raster images it is referencing and tiling together. So what would be the optimal way to store these 10,000 raster images, add them to a Mosaic Dataset, and then give it all to someone external?

Is the best method just to create 10,000 raster datasets within a GDB, and then the Mosaic Dataset within there too, and pass it all over as a GDB?

(I also understand that they will need to repair the mosaic dataset paths if copying to a different directory)

This seemed a lot more intuitive using Raster Catalogues in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One workflow I would recommend is sharing the mosaic dataset as a tiled map service using ArcGIS Pro.  One of the biggest advantages of doing this is not having to copy the 10,000 files out to someone external.  They use the tiled map service shared to them via ArcGIS Online or the Portal for ArcGIS (Enterprise).

0 Kudos
ASw93
by
Occasional Contributor

@Robert_LeClair  Unfortunately, we need a solution that the client will save to disk and use offline. 

0 Kudos