Best Position Zones not Changing Label Position

12-15-2022 10:45 AM
Labels (1)
LarsArneson
New Contributor III

I am trying to effect changes in label positions using the "Best Position" under Label Class Placement. In the past this has worked as I would expect, as I changed the numbers in the "zones" pie, the labels would move. Now the only time it will move the labels is when I switch it to Centered.

My only thought is that using a custom rotation field is hindering how the label engine works.Fig 1. Labels should be prioritized to the left of the point.Fig 1. Labels should be prioritized to the left of the point.Fig 2. All labels are positioned to the right of the point even though the right position should be Blocked.Fig 2. All labels are positioned to the right of the point even though the right position should be Blocked.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

What release of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
LarsArneson
New Contributor III

@Robert_LeClair I'm using 3.0.3

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I am as well.  If you remove the custom rotation field, does Maplex place the labels as expected?

0 Kudos
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

This is as designed. The Set point label rotation documentation states:

If the center placement option is selected, the label is placed at the center of the symbol and rotated by the specified angle. If any of the offset placement options are selected, the label is placed at the offset distance and rotated to the specified angle. The selected placement position is overridden, and the placement is determined by the angle when you choose to rotate labels by an attribute value.

When it says "any of the offset placement options are selected," that includes the "Best position" placement option.

0 Kudos