Beginner very confused about lack of things in insert tab

04-07-2020 10:55 AM
JonathanWalsh
New Contributor II

Hey all, 

I have just started to learn how to use ArcGIS, and am running through the get started lesson. However, I've immediately run into the problem that I cannot see how to either import layout or change the map frame. Both of which are supposed to be under the insert tab, but as shown on the screenshot I've attached I cannot see either. I figure this *might* be problematic moving forward.

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.4, so maybe it's changed since the lessons were posted. This is probably something very very straight-forward, but I would appreciate the help!

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

insert tab

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

have you inserted a map into the project?  that is usually a start for most people, then adding some data to the map.

Think of "insert" as project level functionality and 'add' as object level functionality.

JonathanWalsh
New Contributor II

Hey Dan, thank you for your speedy response. I have both a map and data, but I guess what's happened is that I don't have the premade layout templates to import that the lesson mentions. When I add a new blank layout the map frame options do appear. So very excited to be confused by many more things in my lockdown ArcGIS learning!

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jonathan, 

You are correct, Get Started with ArcGIS Pro | Learn ArcGIS shows functionality, importing a layout, new at 2.5. Unfortunately, the "Create a Layout" portion of the tutorial is based on having a pre-existing layout (Layout file - .pagx). If you do not have access to this layout I don't see how you can follow the steps in the tutorial. 

I recommend upgrading to version 2.5 if you can.

If you are unable to upgrade, I've attached a Layout file (.pagx) that I believe is used.

1. Copy the attached file to a shared folder.

2. With ArcGIS Pro open, go to the Insert tab

3. Click "New Layout" and at the bottom of the gallery click "Import layout file..."

4. Navigate to the file you downloaded in step 1 and click OK.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

JonathanWalsh
New Contributor II

Great! Thank you very much Tom!

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry for the confusion.  Glad I could help.

JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor

Hi Jonathan,
Esri Training has several courses that work on ArcGIS Pro 2.4. The ArcGIS Pro Fundamentals learning plan contains several titles to get you started - most of which are web courses. You can pick and choose what you want to learn. Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro is intended for users migrating from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro, but it maybe worth looking at. 

Joanne

JonathanWalsh
New Contributor II

Hi Joanne. I've just had a look at the first lessons, and this is just what I was hoping would exist. Thank you for the advice!

0 Kudos
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor

Fantastic! 

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jonathan, 

Also see the list of ArcGIS Pro Learning Resources compiled by Kory Kramer.

The Pro help system also includes a series of tutorials with downloadable data, including one on making a layout.

Web-based instruction is often geared to the latest software version, so incompatibilities like the one you ran into can happen. One nice thing about the help system tutorials, is that you can download the offline help system and use that. The offline help system is specific to your version of the software so the tutorial instructions match your capabilities.

Tim