Batch Updating attributes in Pro

03-17-2021 12:32 PM
Labels (3)
BrandonCraft
New Contributor III

I am trying to replace numerous attributes in a target layer from a source layer. The Transfer Attributes tool does exactly what I need on a single polygon at the time, but I need to do it on every record. The target has several fields that are not shared, but I need the rest to update. In our legacy workflow, I would have used an update query in the database itself, but within Pro is there any way to do this? There doesn't seem to be a batch option for this tool. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

...whole team can use and understand though...

114 fields?  Your team uses and understands all 114 fields?  Good on ya!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BrandonCraft
New Contributor III

It is the output from several different pieces of enterprise software. Yes, we all understand each field, and each field is used by numerous people. Different industries have very different schema, but that many fields is not uncommon in forestry at all. The schema come from the client, so we have very little input into how they are designed, but in this case it is a very reasonable setup given the needs placed on the data. Even on other datasets where there are more, a good data dictionary goes a long way.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Try copy/paste attributes in the attributes pane.

• select the source feature, right-click the feature in the attributes pane and select 'copy attributes'
  • select the target features (can use select all in the layer context menu in the table of contents).
  • right-click the target layer in the attributes pane and select 'paste attributes'

this procedure will use a field map like the attribute transfer tool

BrandonCraft
New Contributor III

Sean, thanks for the answer. It took me a while to get back to this and try it. I had tried this previously with one layer being a linked WFL and the other being in the gdb and it returned all null values during the paste, updating the attribute table to all nulls. I just tried it again now that both layers are in the gdb, and it did the same thing. There is a schema difference, but the fields in common are named and formatted identically. It did not offer a field mapping option during the process. Not sure what is going on there. 

0 Kudos