Attribute table blank after exporting from successful table join in ArcGIS Pro

02-26-2020 02:54 PM
KathrynAngleton
New Contributor III

Hi,

I did a table join in ArcGIS Pro of ACS Tiger data to block groups, turned off the fields I didn't want to keep, and exported the layer as a feature class in a gdb, then as a shapefile outside the gdb and both yielded blank attribute tables. Any idea why exporting keeps the fields but drops all the records?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you use

Copy Features—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

or

Feature Class to Feature Class—Conversion toolbox | Documentation 

or some shortcut, that may not do what you want

Make sure you have no selections made unless you want to subset your inputs.

JamesHurdle
New Contributor

I am experiencing the same problem as the original poster of this question. I have just attempted both of your suggested tools, with no selections made. The results of both attempts yielded an attribute table with all the correct fields, but the data in fields that had come from the table I joined to the shapefile were set to 0.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then information will be required on the nature of the tables involved in the join.  Was the join table a geodatabase table? Where did it come from.

Locally stored for both?

If the fields are coming over and the data are not, it leads me to think that the join table isn't up to par

0 Kudos
JamesHurdle
New Contributor

The joined table originated in excel. I used excel to table tool to bring it into ArcPro. It is saved as a table in the project geodatabase. All the data is stored on a shared drive physically located a few rooms away on a server, but not locally to my computer. 

What you say about the join not being up to par may be right. I have diagnosed the join as being the likely cause of other issues I am experiencing, of which I have a question related to these currently active.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Bring everything to your local machine if you can.  Recreate the excel-to-table table.  Export the featureclass/table that you were using as the destination to a new copy first, preferably in a new, locally stored file geodatabase.  This an attempt to isolate potential sources of problems.  New test file gdb,. New featureclass, new excel derived table... everything local rules out a lot of potential sources of error

JamesHurdle
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. I will bring everything over and test this.

0 Kudos
KathrynAngleton
New Contributor III

Dan, I did feature class to feature class. No features were selected upon export. I took the tables from the Census ACS detailed tables gdb and joined them to block groups. I then turned off the fields I didn't want (since there are so many) and tried to export with just the visible fields. The fields stayed, but the records dropped with all 0s.

0 Kudos
KathrynAngleton
New Contributor III

Here are images to show. First image is attribute table after the join and removing unwanted fields. Second is the shapefile that was exported after the join.

0 Kudos
KathrynAngleton
New Contributor III

Scratch that, for some strange reason, it's working now. Very strange how Esri products have been finicky all these years. It's amazing how waiting the next day or switching a computer will be the deciding factor on if a geoprocessing works or not. 

0 Kudos