ArcPy Permission Denied Errors in ArcGISPro 2.3

Jump to solution
02-06-2019 03:45 PM
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

Has anybody encountered a Permission Denied error while using python based Geoprocessing tool in ArcGISPro 2.3?

I upgraded to 2.3 and then ran conda install spyder so that I could use the spyder IDE. After I did this I am unable to

import arcpy

I receive the following error
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\__init__.py", line 20, in <module>
import numpy
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py", line 158, in <module>
from . import fft
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\numpy\fft\__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
import mkl_fft._numpy_fft as _nfft
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 971, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 955, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 665, in _load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 674, in exec_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 780, in get_code
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 832, in get_data
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\ArcGIS\\Pro\\bin\\Python\\envs\\arcgispro-py3\\lib\\site-packages\\mkl_fft\\__init__.py'

I am guessing Spyder installed numpy that wasn't esri friendly based on this output just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. It is inhibiting my ability to run simple functions like merge append etc. I will probably have to downgrade to 2.2.4.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
11 Replies
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

Downgrading to 2.2.4 works.  I also just checked arcpy 2.3 python tab and it says that the default python environment cannot be modified. So I guess I can reinstall 2.3 and try cloning but their is another post that mentions cloning doesn't work. 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-yC5VkbyXzrQR
Occasional Contributor

Hey Micheal I just got the same issue as well. 

I upgraded to 2.4 from 2.2 and now I i get the same error as above. 

What was your solution ? To downgrade?  and how did you find the .exe file for 2.2.4  ?

0 Kudos
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

Hello Adam I recently upgraded to 2.4.2 and then updated my python packages in the cloned environment. I now get the same permission denied error but instead of arcpy it is when import arcgis api for python.

0 Kudos
TregChristopher
Occasional Contributor

I had a similar "permission denied" error after upgrading or installing new packages via conda after upgrading ArcPro to 2.3.1. This was an upgrade to the parent env not a clone (so:C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3 and needed admin rights to install/upgrade). This was following the ESRI instructions:https://developers.arcgis.com/python/guide/install-and-set-up/

My workaround was to change permissions on that new script (or folder in the case of the API) to 'read and execute' for all users. And since the error message doesn't always specify the correct folder or script that is actually causing the problem, I've been just updating permissions for the entire C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3 folder after installing/upgrading any packages.

0 Kudos
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

Wish I could use this workaround. Thanks for posting it. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is difficult if you aren't the admin on your machine.  If you are, then you can either opt to do updates/enhancements in the base environment or make a clone

0 Kudos
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

I now managed to break the root environment of python. 

I get the following error in ArcGIS Pro

Failed to Initialize Python Interpreter is their a setting that I can change to fix this?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is hard to tell what you have done.  If you used conda, you need to make sure that you had the correct environment activated when you did this.  IF a previous version worked... then revert back to it

(arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>conda list --revisions

(arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>

# ---- C:\arc_pro is my installation path
# ---- arcgispro-py3 if my environment folder... yours should be the same if it
#      isn't a clone
# ----- I made no revisions to it returned None
0 Kudos
MichaelWallace3
New Contributor III

So I had a hunch that there were path issues with proenv etc because it would always go to my cloned environment even though in ArcGISPro I had switched back to the root. 

I deleted my cloned enviroment and then recloned the root environment. 

Now in ArcGISPro when I activate the cloned enviroment the python interpreter works just fine. I may just install as me from now on.

0 Kudos