ArcPro Text Field Length reverting to 255 after setting a different specified length

11-14-2018 12:39 PM
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

Hi there, 

I created a new point feature in a feature dataset and have 6 text fields. While adding the fields to the "create feature class" I wanted to set some fields as having a length of 100 to limit characters, and some other fields to have a length of 500 characters (for lengthier descriptions). However, after setting these specific length parameters and saving the newly created feature class, the field length appears to be reset to the default setting of 255. Even using the "Alter Field" tool, the settings will not stay as I want them. Why is this happening? 

Also, what is the point of "Import (fields from other feature classes)" if it does not import ALL of the settings? 

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Does the field name affect the result?

Did you get the same observation with shorter field names?

0 Kudos
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

Yes, the first time I created the feature class, all the field lengths were reset to the 255. The field names are: Address, Description, TeamID, Priority, Additional Comments, and Filter

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So this is a plain featureclass in a locally saved file geodatabase? or are there other descriptors for your work environment that might be contributing factors?

In the interim.... a good solid reboot and try again in a new file geodatabase to see if the issue can be replicated would be in order.  Your field names don't look particularly iffy, but just try 'Text1, Text2 etc as field names (you never know!)

0 Kudos
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

Yes, its a locally saved file geodatabase, nothing special about it. Restart didn't help unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I can't replicate in 2.2.2

I created several fields.  I made the field, set it to text, set the width, the hit Save on the ribbon bar.

Did it again

0 Kudos
Kerry_Shakarjian
New Contributor III

I was actually having this exact same issue in Pro v2.3.2. I created a text field that had the default of 255. When I tried to change the field length after I already hit "save", it wouldn't let me change the field length. I ended up deleting that field and recreating it with the proper field lenght before hitting save. I know you can do this type of change in ArcCatalog without a problem. I shouldn't of had to delete the field and start over to change the text length. =(

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Kerry, are you trying to decrease the field length or increase it?  Pro should allow you to increase the field length, even with existing data, just like ArcCatalog.

In Catalog, I just tried to decrease field length and I get the following:

Increasing works fine.  Decreasing does not.  Can you provide more details about the comparison between ArcCatalog and ArcGIS Pro where Pro falls short?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I believe the issue to be when designing a schema for an empty feature class. In a FGDB, in Catalog, I'm able to add a new text field with default, apply and close, edit the field to be shorter or longer as many times as I want. In Pro 2.3.2, I can only increase text field length. When I decrease, upon loss of mouse focus, it reverts to the original length. Bear in mind, this is on an empty feature class. 

Changing text field lengths is a pretty common workflow for us, we have a plethora of data standards and the mandatory field lengths of our many text fields is not always memorable (eg 50 or 255, often something like 10 or 4 instead), therefore "forgotten" 'till we review work, hence needing to increase or decrease. 

As such, this seems like a bug (can do it in Arc, not Pro). If you agree, Kerry Shakarjian‌ or myself can log a case. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thank you for the clarification Thomas Colson‌.  

For now, check out the Alter Field GP tool in Pro to work on an empty feature class: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/alter-field-properties.htm

So the equivalency bug would be specifically when working in Fields View.  Yes, this seems like a productivity issue where it is quicker and easier to decrease field lengths of empty feature classes in ArcCatalog/ArcMap, than it currently is in ArcGIS Pro.

I'll forward this to the dev team, but it will be best if you can get something logged with technical support for tracking purposes.

Thanks again.