ArcPro task takes very long time to run

11-14-2019 09:08 AM
South_JordanCity_of
Occasional Contributor

Hi all!

So I'm trying out some tasks in Pro to speed up my workflow.

I created a simple task that copies 3 attributes from one selected point feature to another one.

The first step does the copying, the second step pastes the attributes into a different (selected) point:

When I run the task, it takes about 4-5 minutes (!!) to finish. Then I looked at the task history, and the result notes that the task was finished in 10 seconds (!?!?)

Why on earth does it take so long to copy attributes and calculate fields? And why does the task history tell me that it took 10 seconds to complete, when it actually took over 4 minutes?

What am I missing here? Is the task set up improperly, or is this normal ArcPro behavior?

Thanks for your input!

Marc

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
ChristopherBertrand
Occasional Contributor

I have recently (last 2 weeks or so) developed this same problem.  Most every thing I do is now taking far too long for the amount of time I know it should complete in and has in the past.  For example, looking at the process history shows a Feature Class to Feature Class (of about 25 features) has succeeded in under 9 seconds but ties up the computer for the 4.5 minutes for it to complete. This is after doubling the computers RAM hoping this would solve this issue of slowness.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried the same process where the data is stored locally, if the data currently resides on a network share?

0 Kudos
ChristopherBertrand
Occasional Contributor

The data is all local on the processing machine at the moment.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if you are on the latest and greatest version of Pro, but have you tried to sign up for the Pro 2.5 Beta testing to see if latency such as this has been improved at 2.5 since a good number of Pro users complain about slowness of geoprocessing tasks compared to ArcMap (at least for the simpler tasks).

0 Kudos
ChristopherBertrand
Occasional Contributor

I have not signed up for Beta testing and ArcGIS Pro says it is running the most current version. (2.4.2)

0 Kudos
ChristopherBertrand
Occasional Contributor

I may have reached a conclusion of sorts.  

I had cause to open and work on another Pro project briefly.  During this Pro worked as normal.  To test if the slow processing was tied to the ArcGIS Project file.  I created a new ArcGIS Project and loaded in all the files used in my primary project file.  All processing and tasks seem to be running as quickly as normal.  

Is it possible that the ArcGIS Project file is corrupted and this is what is causing the completion of tasks to take so long?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

This testing would be longer term, but I would see if Pro files in general slow down over time to the point where you would need to periodically recreate them.  Hopefully this is not the case, but something to keep an eye on.  You might check if something like a geoprocessing history is building up in the aprx that would need to be cleaned up.  Maybe this can be setup to be cleaned up at some defined interval (e.g. weekly, monthly, etc.).

0 Kudos
fionag11
New Contributor II

@MichaelVolz wrote:

You might check if something like a geoprocessing history is building up in the aprx that would need to be cleaned up. 

Seriously, this is a thing? Geoprocessing history slows down your processing???? How on earth would a user know this?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Christopher, is it only the Task in that single project that runs slowly, or any geoprocessing tool?  Would it be possible to send us a project package of the "problem" aprx?  If that is a possibility, please contact me at kkramer@esri.com and we can set up a secure transfer site.

Thank you.

0 Kudos