ArcPro 3.0.3 freezes and goes black

01-04-2023 01:06 PM
BobBoutiette
New Contributor III

Myself and other colleagues are having an issue with ArcPro 3.0.3 freezing and blacking out performing random functions in the program. Pro does not crash, just freezes for a short period and resumes operation.  This issue is relatively new and did not occur in earlier versions.  Wondering if a Windows update could have thrown something off.

Tags (2)
7 Replies
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

The problem is not new! It was also present in version 3.01 and 3.02! It is not related to the OS - MS Windows upgrade, but to ESRI's favorite production of Bugs!

BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

I've noticed it for several years and in several releases but also that AGP now throws fewer errors that trigger a shutdown and a restart. I assumed that the black screen was a design feature as it's the only software I use that does this and it kept AGP running while working on a solution while at the same time preventing the user from sending more inputs. It invariably recovers in a few seconds in my experience. That's the optimistic view. Esri would have to confirm this.

dgibson
New Contributor

It's not a new problem for my team. Anytime we need to browse or save within our server, ArcPro freezes with a black screen for anywhere from 1-5 minutes. It also freezes if we save or edit a file located within the current ArcPro project folder via Windows Explorer. It's excruciating. I've done 3 clean uninstall/re-installs to no avail. It feels like an indexing issue to me although turning off indexing and adjusting those settings got me nowhere. 

0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

After several tests on MS Win 10 Pro with update on AGP 2.9 and a clean installation on Win 11 Pro, in both cases the situation was identical - the black screen kept repeating. After this, I did the installation on a new machine (Dell WKS Precision 3650 Tower, 64 GB RAM, Video Card Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000, 16 GB) with preinstalled Win 10 Pro updated with a new - clean installation of Win 11 Pro + AGP 3.0. (Nothing more!). Result = "Ghost of the black screen" was not killed! The settings in the options (change of acceleration, antialiasing mode, rendering quality, rendering engine, graphics settings in the nVidia panel...) had no effect! So, PC Hardware and OS have no part in ESRI's black game. Turning indexing off/on (ESRI implementation) also doesn't change anything. @BarryNorthey optimistically believes that this 'was a design feature' to prevent multiple inputs (!?!) and that 'Esri would have to confirm this'. We are currently in the black game ArcGIS Pro ver. 3.03, and ESRI...ESRI on this and hundreds of other bugs in (see the list of published, there are many more unpublished!), as well as every "good" director "wisely" listens. User damage is not in the Roadmap!
@KoryKramer can you tell us your test results? Is there any hardware and OS that doesn't play ESRI BLACK?

Thank you!

BieckNagelhout
New Contributor

Me and multiple colleagues on multiple machines are experiencing something similar since 3.0.3. The Diagnostics Monitor (ctrl+alt+m) shows GUI unresponsive for 64 seconds every 2-5 minutes, even without user input. Totally unclear what causes it.

Have reinstalled 2.9 and the problem goes away.

0 Kudos
MiguelMartinezYordan
Occasional Contributor

Many people should be fired from ESRI for doing such a poor job of not identifying bugs before releasing a new version. Even the report window that appears when the software crashes doesn't always work. It's very frustrating, after 25 years of being an ESRI user, finding myself still complaining about the same things, unreliability, performance, speed, and the lack of development in regular tools. I wish I could be at ESRI headquarters for just one week to tell developers all the things they're still doing wrong...

gLm
by
New Contributor

I just upgraded to 3.2.2 and it happens constantly now. The black screen of death. Whoah ESRI what are you doing to fix this? A Year and no fixes ? Not even a simple reply to the thread from an ESRI person? and it's still coming out in new versions? PLEASE PLEASE pay attention to your users and fix this. 

0 Kudos