ArcMap vs ArcGIS Pro calculating geometry Degrees Minutes Seconds

Jump to solution
07-24-2020 04:04 AM
BarbaraS
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,

I am observing differences in how ArcGIS Pro calculates geometry/coordinates in DMS (degrees minutes seconds). 

The process in ArcMap was very straight forward:

While in ArcGIS Pro, you have to also double check and set the environmental settings:

Now these are the results:

ArcGIS Pro

ArcMap

The seconds are always different. Sure, it is just a couple of seconds but still, why is there a difference in the results of the calculation?

The issue is that we are providing colleagues and customers with the coordinates who themselves plot them into their software and then we get quite some deviation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the same transformation used? Melita Kennedy‌ addressed this in the on-the-fly projection differences between ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro and it might apply here, too

https://community.esri.com/message/942142-re-on-the-fly-projection-is-way-off?commentID=942142#comme... 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

another reason why we use ArcMap for the heavy lifting.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the same transformation used? Melita Kennedy‌ addressed this in the on-the-fly projection differences between ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro and it might apply here, too

https://community.esri.com/message/942142-re-on-the-fly-projection-is-way-off?commentID=942142#comme... 

DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

The 'Calculate Geometry' field calculator was always a bit disturbing, with no transformation options I could see.  For transforming survey coords I'm not sure it would have been my go-to method.

0 Kudos
BarbaraS
Occasional Contributor

We have a case with Esri support on this now and have a first workaround. As Ken Buja‌ correctly stated, it is also a transformation issue.

Our data is in projected coordinate systems (ED50, UTM zones), and as default in our Pro project do we have the topographic basemap (WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere)). 

Because your basemap is a different coordinate system, you also have a transformation. 

By removing the transformation in the map properties (change it to <none>), the calculations are correct. So the short workaround is: remove the transformation.