ArcMAP 10.5 Slow Performance

02-19-2017 09:27 PM
TerryAdams
New Contributor III

Hello All,

We have just updated from ArcGIS 10.3 to ArcGIS 10.5.

Suffering from very slow performance in ArcMAP now with certain things.  I've completely re-made MXD's from scratch under 10.5 that I had under 10.3 to remove possible changeover issues.

When I simply tick on/off layers it takes a long time (1 minute or more) to update the display or give me control of ArcMap back.

When I save edits - long time to do that (2 minutes or more) 

When I change a layer from editable to not editable - long time (1 minute) to do that.

I'd have maybe 10 layers in the MXD with JPEG 2000 aerial photo loaded in - but not displayed. 

Arc Catalog displays layers quickly - as you'd expect.   Loading one or 2 layers into ArcMAP also seems ok.  But more than that *really* seems to slow it down.  I never had extremely slow responses like this under 10.3.

We're putting in a support call but just wondering if anyone else has noticed this - and might know what the cause is.   Data sits in SQL 2012 with ARCSDE.   

61 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you looked into the geometry type storage for your data?  Are you by any chance using ST_Geometry?  If so, would you be able to test what would happen if you converted some of your data to SDEBinary (long raw)?  My organization is having slowness with the parcel fabric using ST_Geometry and other endusers have suggested rolling back to SDEBinary to address this issue.

0 Kudos
SarojThapa1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Terry,

Check out this blog. It could be one or the combination of the following reasons.

Troubleshooting Slow Performance in ArcGIS Desktop | Support Services Blog 

0 Kudos
shnizaiJawid
New Contributor

Hi to all, 

I have the same problem with ArcMap10.5. It works slowly especially when I take the pan to drag one side. The bad problem is with vector data showing. The vector data comes step step, or like zoom in raster. Any solution, please? 

0 Kudos
TerryAdams
New Contributor III

Hi All,

Tentatively - At long last it appears we have an answer to this situation.

What appears to have been the issue all along is a problem with the ArcGIS Desktop installation on the individual workstation PC's.  Not with the database / ArcSDE side of things at all.

What we found is that when we installed ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 on a PC that had never had ArcGIS on it before, it had *no* performance issues.  When we loaded an mxd from a PC plagued with the slowness onto the new PC - we had no issues with slowness.

So - on the PC's with the degraded performance in ArcMAP.   Their ArcGIS Desktop upgrade path has been as follows.  10 -> 10.1  ->  10.3 ->  10.31  ->  10.5  -> 10.51.  When we upgraded to 10.5 we first saw this issue.  All along the way we've simply ran the uninstallation / installation process as usual.  But this has left some old folders from those previous installations in place. 

On the Affected PC's - what we did was to uninstall 10.5.1 completely.  *THEN* we went though the folder structures on each PC and manually deleted *ALL* folders to do with ArcGIS.  Every single one.   Completely blow them away.

This is what I remember finding on my pc. You want them all *GONE*.

Program Files(x86)\ArcGIS
Program Files(x86)\Common\ArcGIS
*your username*\Appdata\Local  *all ArcGIS folders*
*your username*\MyDocuments  *all ArcGIS folders*

We had folders left over from 10.1...10.3 etc etc etc in those locations.  Only when we deleted all those then installed ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 again did our slowness problems go away. Simply Uninstalling 10.5.1 then reinstalling it did not work.   Only when we deleted all those old folders did we get our performance back in ArcMAP.

We've only just found this.   Time will tell if our ArcMAP performance remains where it should. 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good fine...  but the timid may wish to rename the folders first, prior to deletion... just in case ...

0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II

I've also run into performance issues with ArcMap 10.5 (10.4 and 10.4.1 were a little better). I've had the problems with ArcCatalog flaking out and flickering when I click on database connections. I've seen the performance of ArcMap slow to a crawl. I've seen the mess left behind from ArcDesktop upgrades. Seriously ESRI for all of the money you get from us you can do better. Upgrades should clear old folders. Upgrades should copy anything that might be required or custom (different than default) into a folder for the upgrade version and blow out the old crap. 

I'm going to try a clean install as recommended here, remove any old folders and nonsense and then install 10.5 again. 

BTW I'm running MS SQL 2016 and that didn't help with ArcDesktop performance when I upgraded.

ArcPro did offer a little hope that I could edit data and open layers with a better response. However; ArcPro isn't prime time and we use tools for the LGIM that aren't available yet in ArcPro. QGIS looks better by the day...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Steve, for the "Upgrades should copy anything that might be required or custom (different than default) into a folder for the upgrade version and blow out the old crap." issue, go to Maintain customizations when updating to a major release  and/or https://community.esri.com/ideas/11911, up vote and provide your requirements in the comments as you see fit.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
DavidBlehm1
New Contributor

Hi Terry,

I want to check in to see if you have been able to maintain the performance after cleaning up the install files?

0 Kudos
MarkBratcher
New Contributor

Just curious if anyone experienced snapping issues along with this slow performance.  As in snapping working intermittently unless you resort back to classic snapping.  I am having similar trouble with 10.5 desktop and 10.5 server with sde running on sql 2012.  However, at the moment our performance issues resolve when working on a local copy. 

0 Kudos
JessicaGormont
New Contributor II

Yes! My snapping is almost non-existent unless I use Classic Snapping, which is a pain when I have a lot of edits to make. Normally, compressing the database will fix this issue when it pops up, but I haven't been able to resolve it since we upgraded to 10.4.1. 

0 Kudos