ArcGIS Pro: Warning when overwriting Web Layer

Jump to solution
03-02-2018 08:43 AM
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor

I am doing a lot of testing with ArcGIS Enterprise (v10.5.1), federating ArcGIS Server with Portal, and ArcGIS Pro for publishing.  One specific task I have just tested is overwriting a service created by ArcGIS Pro, or to use the latest terminology, overwriting a Web Layer. 

In ArcGIS Pro (v2.1.2), when I chose Overwrite Web Layer I was presented with a warning reading, "If you overwrite this web layer, any popups configured or changes made to the web layer after it was initially published will be lost. This may affect existing clients using the layer by changing layer order or available fields."  I had previously added the Portal map layer item to a map and configured a popup.  As it turned out, the popup was not affected following the Overwrite, but I was more than a bit worried.

That warning message is very disconcerting.  Why is this warning given, and under what circumstances will popups or other configurations be lost?  Not knowing when configurations may be lost is not a good place to be.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Marc,

When overwriting a web layer the new layer you are publishing can have an entirely different schema than the existing layer.  If the schema differs (i.e. different field names, new fields, deleted fields) than the pop-ups will be lost and need to be re-configured.  If the schema is the same, then the pop-ups should maintain.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Marc,

When overwriting a web layer the new layer you are publishing can have an entirely different schema than the existing layer.  If the schema differs (i.e. different field names, new fields, deleted fields) than the pop-ups will be lost and need to be re-configured.  If the schema is the same, then the pop-ups should maintain.

MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Jake.  That's what I sort of expected and it's consistent with what I am used to with publishing services from ArcMap, but I have to question the wording of the warning as it leaves no room for uncertainty.  It says that configurations and changes "will be lost." I think it is alarming and, by your explanation, it is also inaccurate. At the very least, I believe "will" should be changed to "may" and, even better, a concise explanation should be included. 

Thanks.

JakeSkinner

I agree, this would be more intuitive.  I would suggest entering this idea on the ArcGIS Ideas page.

MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor

Okay. Thanks much.

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, please add to the ArcGIS Ideas page. Also, fyi your observations have been passed to the Pro development team that works on this.

MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Tim!

0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III

To clarify a bit more, when you overwrite from Pro, the pop-up is completely overwritten - if you had originally authored your pop-up in Pro and are overwriting using the same map, it might look like the pop-up is being maintained when it actually isn't.

We have plans to make this a better experience where you will be given a choice to either maintain the web layer pop-up or replace it with what you have in Pro but as of right now, it always replaces.

Thank you,

Melanie

MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor

Melanie,

This is not the behavior I am observing. The popup for my test layer in Pro is Enabled (that state appears to be the default when adding a layer) and all fields are checked ON to be included. In the Portal map with the shared and registered layer in it, the popup is configured with only a subset of fields checked ON. When I overwrite the Web Layer to Portal I do not see a change to the set of fields checked ON in the layer within the map in Portal, nor do I see a change in the popup itself . As another test, I UNchecked one of the fields in the Pro layer, and again there was no change to the popup for the layer in the Portal map, and the field UNchecked in Pro remained checked ON in the Portal map.

Have I done something incorrectly so as not to see the behavior you described? Or, were you just adding to what Tim stated and saying that the popup is completely overwritten only when there is a schema change?

Thanks,
Marc

0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Marc,

Sorry for the slow response. What you are seeing is expected behavior - the updates to the pop-up you made are stored with the web map, not the web layer so when you overwrite the web layer, even though the web layer's pop-up is overwritten, the web map is displaying the pop-up configuration you saved with it. Similarly, if you save a copy of the original web layer with a different pop-up, that configuration stored with the copied layer is not going to be updated when you overwrite the original web layer.

TL;DR: The original web layer is always overwritten with what is authored in Pro, any configurations saved with different layers or web maps are not updated when the web layer is overwritten.

Hope that explains it,

Melanie