Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro v3.0.0 "Project Save Error" - Failed to Save Project

06-25-2022 05:50 PM
islandpowerco
New Contributor II

I have just upgraded to ArcGIS Pro v3.0.0 from v2.9.3. I now encounter a file save error as soon as I try to save any of my existing projects. I get the following error (see attached):

"Project Save Error" "Failed to save project".

Note that I am using ArcGIS Pro in Parallels on a Mac, however all files opened and saved correctly in v2.9.3 with no issues. Performance of ArcGIS Pro in Parallels on the Mac is fine and I have not encountered issues like this previously. The issue occurs when I try to Save a project or Save As a project.

The project and all of its contents are entirely local. There is no network connection or network drive of any kind. There are no files or data fetched from any source outside the local project folder. There are no add-ins and no extensions. The project does not contain any rasters.

The issue only occurs after upgrading ArcGIS Pro to v3.0.0. New projects that are created from scratch in v3.0.0 are able to be saved successfully. 

--------

My system:
ArcGIS Pro v3.0.0 (latest)
.NET Desktop Runtime v6.06 (latest)

Macbook Pro 
OS Monterey 12.3.1 (latest)
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Parallels 
Parallels Version 17.1.4 (51567) (latest)
Windows 10 Home edition v21H1

19 Replies
TobiSellekaerts
New Contributor III

We have just upgraded to 3.0.3 (from 2.9.5) and are now also experiencing this inability to save files.  This thread has gone silent for a few months - fingers crossed this means someone has figured out the solution @Andrew--Johnson do you have any updates?  Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Nobody sent their projects or updated the thread if they reached out to technical support. This issue is specific to something in a particular project or group of projects so I would recommend reaching out to technical support so they can diagnose the cause of the problem and jump on a screenshare with you as necessary.

https://support.esri.com/en/ 

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
DavidWheelock2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @Andrew--Johnson

I just encountered the same problem today using AGP 3.1.1.

It's not a big issue for this one, so I'll just rebuild from scratch.

Also, I've been using 3.1.1 since it's release and have saved several other projects, though they were not MXD imports.  This was my first MXD import.

Details for ESRI:

• Opened simple AGP without using template.
  • Imported ArcMap MXD successfully.  No issues.
  • Tried to save and got error.
  • Tried to save in another location and got same error.
  • Tested deleting map contents bit by bit and saving after each deletion.  Same error.
  • Deleted APRX contents until everything was gone and there were no contents left. Completely empty project.  Tried saving and got the error.
  • I can't send you an APRX because I can't get it to save even once.

ESRI, some addition details in that error message would be great!

Also, reviewing the previous comments, above, I wonder about the history of those projects.  Did the APRX files that failed on being converted from AGP 2.X to 3.X, have had their origin in even earlier MXD files that were imported to AGP?

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David,

Can you send the mxd? If we can take a look at that a developer can debug exactly why the mxd failed to translate to an ArcGIS Pro project.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
DavidWheelock2

OK, now I'm stumped.  The problem is playing peek-a-boo.  I've got conflicting results and my original failure mode is working.

Additional testing.

• Test 1
    • Opened MXD
    • Deleted all data connections and saved.
    • Imported to AGP.  Saved successfully.
  • Test 2
    • Started AGP
    • Inserted map.
    • Saved APRX
    • Imported MXD
    • Saved successfully.
  • Test 5
    • Recreated original failure mode.  Works.
0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

David thanks for testing further. It seems like one of the data connections but we won't be able to know for sure until a dev can debug and see exactly which part of the code is failing.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
DavidWheelock2

@Andrew--Johnson 

Here's the MXD, sans data.

Let me know if you need something more prepared.

Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

David,

With the mxd that you provided, I was unable to reproduce the failure. The mxd imported successfully and the project saved successfully. Sounds like it's only possible to repro with the data and data connections present in the map.

-Andrew

0 Kudos
GB-AliWhiteGISS
New Contributor

I had the same issue in ArcPro 2.9.5. I had imported a .mxd without incident, made some edits, saved without incident, made some more changes, received the unable to save message. Save As and renaming worked fine but still can't save the original project. Based on so many people experiencing the near-identical issue, it certainly seems like a bug. 

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

These posts are a specific to translating an ArcGIS Pro project from a 1.x or 2.x aprx to a 3.x project so since you are experience this with importing a mxd into 2.9.5 it would not be related. I'd recommend opening a support case for a support analyst to take a deeper look with you.

regards,

Andrew

0 Kudos