Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro unable to save user settings and program interface hang-time

09-23-2022 07:30 AM
JMitchell
Regular Contributor

Our organization is recently experiencing an odd behavior with all installed instances of ArcGIS Pro.

Sometime in the past couple of weeks, it was noticed that the ArcGIS Pro start page no longer was displaying any recent projects.  No matter what a user does, the program does not retain any recent project history or setting configurations changed in the program settings options.

Additionally, inputs through the user interface are resulting in significant hang-times:  opening an empty project, closing the program, navigating to different sections of the settings menu.  There is no performance issues related to analysis or data manipulation or map navigation...the only performance issues (in the form of hang-time) relate to just using various aspects of the program interface itself.

We have gone through ESRI technical support through our Organization, but their conclusion to performance issues was to correct reported deficiencies in RAM and Dedicated Video RAM; however, ArcGIS Pro was running fine with the current resources we have set and the performance issues we are experiencing does not occur with any resource-intensive operations, just the program itself with or without any data or project loaded.  

We were unable to find anything that would have changed in our network environment that would have resulted in these issues.  The program itself is installed locally on each workstation and the issues persists across software versions (3.0.0 was the version installed when the issues suddenly appeared and we have tried updating to 3.0.1 for no effect).

I have also checked my personal ArcGIS Pro installation at home, signing in using my Organization credentials and have no issues...which suggests that the problem is specific to the computing environment at work, but we do not know what we should be looking for that could be causing this specific set of issues.

Any insight or ideas into this matter would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@JMitchell 

I'd be curious where %appdata% takes you if you type it into File Explorer. Is it the C drive or somewhere else?

0 Kudos
JMitchell
Regular Contributor

@Scott_Harris 
Typing %appdata% into File Explorer seems to go to a folder redirection to a user/appdata folder under an instance of my user living on our network.

I had previously been looking at the appdata folder within the user folder on the C drive.

0 Kudos
BradleyThompson1
Esri Contributor

@JMitchell - do you happen to have the case numbers you engaged with Support to discuss this issue? 

0 Kudos
JMitchell
Regular Contributor

@BradleyThompson1 

The support was very responsive; I just don't know if the technical issues we are seeing are easy to diagnose through general support as it seems to be an odd situation.  When contacting support, I was hoping we could get an idea as to what we may be missing on our end or where our IT should be looking for a possible cause.

BradleyThompson1
Esri Contributor

Thank you @JMitchell ; I likely can't give any pointed advice before the weekend juggling my current workload, but by the end of next week at the latest I should be able to discuss something with you. I'll reach back out! 

0 Kudos
BradleyThompson1
Esri Contributor

@JMitchell 

Having re-read the case details & your correspondence here, I'm isolating two concerns that I would consider separate problems:

• Performance Problems interacting with the application's UI;
  • Inability to save user-specific customization settings that should persist from Pro session to Pro session (list of Recent Projects, Dark Mode, etc.)

These issues may both be related to the fact that your Roaming User Profile is being saved on a network share, but I can't say that confidently. What I can say is that I'm pretty confident the following recommendations I'm about to make should help with resolving the emphasized bullet point above. 

A large majority of all user-specific customization settings you can make in Pro are going to be saved to a user.config file. This file is saved in a user's Roaming profile in the following directory:

%APPDATA%\Esri\ArcGISPro_StrongName_<string_of_alphanumeric_characters>\3.x.0.0\user.config

Normally this wouldn't be a huge issue but, for organizations that direct their users' Roaming profiles to be stored on the network and exert fine-tuned control over the shares that store them, odd problems like what you're describing can be encountered. Hate writing 'odd' as I'm not trying to sweep concerns like these under the rug, but a whole slew of new considerations arise due to a migration like this that're extremely difficult to account for all aspects of. Are they SMB or Samba shares holding the profiles? What type of Group Policy settings could be interfering? Are there any anti-virus clients or security suite packages that slow down the read/writing speed requests when interacting with these shares? What if none of these are concerns & the true problem lies in the machine's connection speed and/or latency to this share? Or what if a combination of these concerns are contributing? 

That's all conjecture and not necessarily helpful, I realize, but I make mention of it because the sudden inability to successfully write to your user.config could potentially be something affected by any of those questions (or ones I didn't consider when writing this response). 

So something that I think will help, but is dependent on your IT staff.... would they allow you to save your user.config file (that's currently being saved to the default location of your Roaming Profile over the network) to a Local Profile saved on-disk on your machine instead?

If the answer is yes, I'd ask that you or your IT staff navigate to the following section of your registry in RegEdit: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Settings

Once there and at the bottom of the subkey list, you should see the following three subkeys: 

BradleyThompson1_1-1664484147692.png

An elaboration on what these subkeys are: 

BradleyThompson1_0-1664483930473.png

For your specific problem, I'd recommend setting UserConfigMovedToRoaming to '0', so that it'll save your user.config in the path specified under UserConfigLocationLocal (which should be on-disk on your machine, ideally) instead of where it's currently being saved under UserConfigLocationRoaming. Making this change isn't going to move any other part of your User Profile locally; it's only changing the save location for your user.config file. As an aside, both UserConfigMovedToRoaming UserConfigLocationLocal can be modified to point to different locations outside of %APPDATA% & %LOCALAPPDATA%, respectively, if the defaults don't suit your needs for whatever reason. That may be pertinent & helpful if your IT staff is also backing up your Local User Profile (or not using it at all) to a network share. 

This concern in general is currently encompassed by the following Enhancement & was implemented because of it: 

ENH-000137053 - Allow the Specification of a Local or Roaming Profile Installation Option to Avoid Performance Problems Experienced in some Environments After ArcGIS Pro's user.config File was Migrated from Local to Roaming Storage

Although this enhancement is still listed as being Open and/or Under Consideration, it's going to be marked as Implemented in the coming days to point to the solution above that I just described. Regarding documentation for these registry keys, that screenshot I posted above outlining their usage was from an internal page where we're staging these updates - at or before 3.1 Release, they'll be pushed to our public page here to fill the gap: https://github.com/esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ArcGIS-Pro-Registry-Keys

Want to reiterate that I don't believe this potential solution for your user customization problems will resolve the performance issues being seen elsewhere in the client - would be pleasantly surprised if they did! You'll need to engage further with Support on those concerns if they continue to persist, but things I'd recommend checking in that regard prior to or during engagement with Support would be:

• Are Projects that users in your organization are making/working on also being saved directly on the network? Or are they being saved locally on-disk?
  • Does any data those projects contain/reference load that data from network locations, or are they being sourced locally?
  • Does your organization use OneDrive? If so, do any of the above directories from the first two bullet points have backups made regularly during working hours? 
  • Are there any anti-virus or security suite packages that could be combing through any of the above directories where data, projects, etc. are being read & written from? 

I'm still subscribed to this post so please don't hesitate to report back with findings when you have them. Finger's crossed this is it! 

JMitchell
Regular Contributor

@BradleyThompson1 

Thank you for the detailed response!  I will forward this to our IT folks and work with them to see if any of these recommendations are able to remedy some of the issues we were experiencing.

I will post back here with the results when we have them.

0 Kudos
BradleyThompson1
Esri Contributor

@JMitchell Hoo boy, I might've spoken too soon - this functionality doesn't seem to be working correctly. I'm still investigating and if this is the case, we're likely looking at not only a formal fix for 3.1 but easily a patch-candidate issue for 3.0. 

I'll reach back out the second I have an update for you, this is a priority for my team at the moment. 

0 Kudos
JMitchell
Regular Contributor

@BradleyThompson1 

Pertaining to the procedure you suggested or the original issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos