ArcGIS Pro spatial view column not found after adding it in SQL Server

Jump to solution
02-02-2023 12:43 PM
Labels (1)
PLadd
by
Occasional Contributor III

I have a spatial view created in SQL Server.  Works fine in ArcGIS Pro.  HOWEVER, if I add a new field to the table "joined" in the spatial view in SQL Server, that new field does not appear in ArcGIS Pro where the spatial view is in use.  If I re-add the spatial view, it shows the new field.  But I can't do this because I have dozens of expressions and HTML in the popup and I'll lose a lot of work.  I tried closing and re-opening - nothing.  I tried refreshing the data in the "List by data Source" in the TOC and Refreshing the geodatabase connection.

Anybody have any tricks to get the new field to display in an existing spatial view layer in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If you go into the Layer Properties for the existing database view, you should be able to go into the properties to update the view definition to include the new field.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If you go into the Layer Properties for the existing database view, you should be able to go into the properties to update the view definition to include the new field.  

PLadd
by
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks @Robert_LeClair for the response and the help (and for the link).  I guess I was expecting that if I changed the spatial query in SQL Server and then refreshed/reopened in ArcGIS Pro, the new spatial query would get pulled through.  It seems it doesn't work that way. 

Just to expand on your instructions, I went to the layer properties, clicked on Source, then clicked on the edit icon for Query (see image below).  In the Query window I can double click on the fields to be added (then add commas of course).  I guess I could also copy/paste the query from SQL Server.  Thanks again for helping me out.

PLadd_1-1675442352678.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Certainly!  Happy to assist.  You are correct that updating the SQL in SQL Server Management Studio does not update the Database View in ArcGIS Pro.  The DB view is stored in the eGDB.  The workflow you described in your response is correct as well.  I'm glad it worked out!  Have a great weekend!

0 Kudos