ArcGIS Pro snapping not working when creating new features

03-15-2017 07:41 AM
HeatherScroggins
Occasional Contributor II

I am running into a snapping problem when I am editing in ArcGIS Pro (version 1.4) and I'm hoping someone has a solution.

I can't seem to snap to anything when I am creating new features. If I finish the sketch and then edit vertices, it will snap just fine. But when I am actually creating the feature, it won't snap. I've looked at the settings, I've tried to search here on GeoNet as well as other online resources, and I can't find anything talking about this.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Is it some setting that I am missing? I've tripled checked my snapping settings and the layers I'm trying to snap to are turned on in the 'List by Snapping' view of the Contents window. And yes, snapping is turned on.

Any help someone has would be greatly appreciated. 

29 Replies
GISOfficer
Occasional Contributor

Running into this in 2.3.2 (may upgrade to 2.5 soon) at least that I can't snap to the feature class I'm editing, can't extend/trim/split a polyline.  No obvious cause, and closing/reopening does not fix it.

0 Kudos
GISOfficer
Occasional Contributor

Hm.  For me it was caused by two lines from the same layer overlapping.  Nothing to see here, except that it would be good for Pro to honour splitting/extending/trimming the single feature you have selected rather than an unselected one below it.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

...it would be good for Pro to honour splitting/extending/trimming the single feature you have selected rather than an unselected one below it.

Split and Extend/Trim have a checkbox on the bottom. When unchecked, the selected feature is the only one that gets modified:

Does this help?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
GISOfficer
Occasional Contributor

Yeah that didn't do it, I have that activated by default for any editing I do.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hmm... okay. It's a bit difficult to say what could be going on without seeing it. If you want, feel free to post as much info as you can about the issue (video/screenshots are most helpful). You can also show the issue to Esri Technical Support as they should have the option to screenshare with you.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
Alex_at_Exprodat
New Contributor II

Just in case anyone else comes across this problem, this solution worked for me. It was the same issue/fix from ArcMap where the spatial index of the item you want to snap to needs refreshing. In a geodatabase, this is usually done automatically but sometimes it gets stuck and needs a manual refresh.

Go to the Catalog (pane or view), browse to the feature class you are snapping to, right-click and open Properties. From there, go to Indexes and expand Spatial Index. Click the Recalculate button.

SpatialIndexReclaculate.PNG

Once that is done, click OK and go back to your map. I had to disable and re-enable snapping from the ribbon, but as soon as I turned it back on, my sketches were snapping to the existing features correctly again.

JakubKaczorowski
New Contributor

Perfect! Had a really hard time with this and finally your solution works!

0 Kudos
SimonStockwell
New Contributor

This solution worked for me too... with one additional step - I needed to remove the feature from my map, and then add back again after the index recalculation.

0 Kudos
KevinMumfordUSA
New Contributor

This solved the issue for me: Turn off: Project > Options > Editing > General > Productivity > Uncheck: "Enable vertex editing while sketching"

NIck_WGNHS
New Contributor II

Thanks, Kevin, this solved my issue as well!

0 Kudos