ArcGIS Pro Slow to Load Folders/Files

11-06-2018 10:48 AM
DevinLavigne
Occasional Contributor III

The biggest pain I experience with ArcGIS Pro is how slow it is to browse both local folders, network drives, and UNC paths. Its often 60 seconds or more between each folder. It can take 3-4 minutes sometimes just to browse to a directory. 

27 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'd encourage everyone in this thread experiencing this issue to log a case with tech support, as performance issues are universally not solvable via GN. Let's make 2.5 the "Fix all the Performance Bugs" release! Get those cases logged! 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We're experiencing the same issue and we're not running over a VPN. Perfectly fine browsing network paths, local drives etc. in File Explorer but in ArcGIS Pro there's a significant delay which seems relative to the amount of data/no. of folders in the file path.

If it's due to Windows Defender or some other scanning software then it would seem odd that Pro is dramatically more impacted than any other method/software which enables users to browse files.

DanAllen

I also have this issue.  ArcGIS pro 2.4.0.  Add data from a network folder that contains about 2,000 project sub-folders takes 1 to 2 minutes to load the entire list of folders before I can enter deeper in a folder to load GIS data.  ArcMap always had a similar behavior, but it was more like 15 to 20 seconds, not minutes.  Same as screen GIF above, I can access these network folders in windows explorer with less than 1 second to populate the 2,000 sub-folders.  I have a brand new high end workstation, and we are running Symantec endpoint protection.

0 Kudos
DanAllen

update:  turned off indexing in options and now instead of 1 to 2 minutes, it is more like 1 to 2 seconds.  Thanks for the tip in this post.

DanAllen

update 2:  restarted computer, opened arcpro, indexing still off, now back to taking 1 to 2 minutes.   Also, if I click on a project sub-folder in the network directory before Pro finishes populating the entire list of 2,000 sub-folders, the sub-folder I click on is empty, even though it is not really empty.  very frustrating waste of my productive time.

0 Kudos
Matthew_Williams
New Contributor III

I also have this issue running Arc Pro on a machine at the office. We have multiple network drives and if data is not copied to my local 'C' drive it will take often over an hour to open a document. Has anyone found a solution?

0 Kudos
MatthewJackson3
New Contributor II

This has been driving me crazy for a while. It's somehow related (at least in my case) to disconnected network resources. Even if I'm browsing a local folder (with indexing turned off) and a disconnected network drive, I experience this slow down. It can easily take 30 seconds to browse the contents of a folder on my desktop. It still routinely takes 5-6 seconds when I'm connected to my office VPN, and is reasonably fast when I'm at the office. Bottom line is I think arcpro is trying to scan all of the network resources you have, and if one is unavailable (or if there are a lot of them), it wastes an inordinate amount of time scanning them for some reason.

0 Kudos
Oiligriv
Occasional Contributor

Hi analyzing in depth what ArcGIS Pro is doing during a connection on a network Share, I found that many Pro calls end up as BAD NETWORK NAME with a very high response time from the server, in my case 13 seconds.
I opened a thread on the community, before reading this post.
I am attaching the link.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/bad-network-name/m-p/1200722#M58352