ArcGIS Pro refuses to open aprx with many Revit files inside

07-13-2018 06:50 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

The new addition of reading Revit (.rvt) files in ArcGIS Pro was exactly what many people were waiting for.

I started importing some rvt files and they just look amazing inside the GIS.

However, as the number of imported rvt incresases, as soon as I close and try to reopen the same project it refuses to open, simply showing the error window with the option to send the report (which I did).

Has anybody experienced such issue with Revit files and ArcGIS Pro 2.2?

I tried with two different machiens and the problem is present in both.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Perhaps a resource issue on your computer.  How did your computer fair on the

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.2

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Dan Patterson‌ Thanks for the feedback.

The computer should be ok, I attach the printshot of its specs.

Although the graphic card specs is not present, it should be powerful as it runs many 3d rendering softwares without problems.

However, I'll give the "Can You Run It?" tool a try and will come back to confirm.

0 Kudos
DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

Hello Alessandro, 

The Revit files are store in memory, so you could be running out of memory. In your case how many Revit files are you trying to read (number of files and size of files)? 

Best regards, 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sounds like a memory monitor should be shown on the status bar to prevent overstuffing.

Under-nourished computers are popping up all over the place given the 'minimum' and 'recommended' memory and gpu specs are little on the optimistic side.

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

David Alvarez Dipendente

In your case how many Revit files are you trying to read (number of files and size of files)?

Quite a lot actually (let's say ten, it might be a bit more or less). And also, depending on the detail of those revit models, I guess they could consume more the more detailed they are.

So, would you reccomend to convert them to featureclass? Is it possible to do it with standard tools or should I use the Data Interoperability extension?

Dan Patterson Campione

Sounds like a memory monitor should be shown on the status bar to prevent overstuffing.

I think the major problem here is that my computer can handle those in-memory files flawlessly: I can navigate through my scene and see my revit models smoothly.

However, the REAL problem is that as long as I close the project and try to reopen it, it crashes and I lose all the possibility to do anything with it. I just need to redo all the import hoping not to hit the (unknown) memory limit.

Why is this happening only at opening?

0 Kudos
LR
by

As far as I can tell, the Revit files are "loaded" in the same way as DWGs are "loaded": Pro converts the geometry to MP and stores those in a "virtual GDB". So you might be better off saving them to a real GDB once loaded.

I had the same experience more or less. Cute example Revit-files load easily, but on a real-life model, warts and all, Pro will spend all day trying to get it in the scene. Don't toss your FME workbenches yet, if ever .

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra
So you might be better off saving them to a real GDB once loaded.

How would you do that? I tried (randomly) to:

• right click on a revit file in the catalog pane
  • right click on an empty File GDB -> Paste Special
  • Crash...

Ahhah, don't know why, but I was pretty sure this would have happened. Why was the Paste Special option even there??? The crash was instant and no windows with error report showed up. I just lost (again) all my work...

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra
LR
by

The classic way.. right-click on the layer in the contents pane, Data > Export Features. Once saved you might want to consider splitting the layer by attribute to make the model more manageable. You probably won't need toilet models for your GIS analysis   .