ArcGIS Pro: Raster Images Disappear or Move During Georeference

Jump to solution
06-29-2020 11:11 AM
AlastairKeith-Lucas
New Contributor II

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.5.2, but this has been a problem for at least a year,\ now. When I add a tiff or tif file to a map to be georeferenced and fit it to display, it appears correctly. When I place the first control point the image shifts to fit as expected. When I place the second control point the image either turns completely and irreparably transparent or shoots off thousands of miles in a random direction. This happens to about a third of the images I attempt to georeference in ArcGIS Pro, and the only work around I've ever developed is to use ArcGIS Desktop instead. I've never noticed any pattern with what images bug out and what images work as intended. Restarting Pro has never helped, though on a couple of occasions I've had luck with replacing the image with a copy of itself and retrying the georeference process. Has anyone else had this issue? Have you found any solutions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pkorst_coa
New Contributor III

--

Thank you for the suggestion, Alastair.  Changing the primary symbology from "RGB" to "Stretch" improved but did not fully solve the issue of raster images disappearing - until I changed the Stretch Type to None under the Data tab.  Then all of my georeferenced rasters would remain visible. 

Stretch Type to NoneStretch Type to None

(ArcGIS Pro 2.8.2)

Just wanted to mention this in case it may help anyone else with the issue.

--

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Taren_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Alastair,

This was a known bug that occured in ArcMap when a double transformation had been applied to an image. If the file has an associated world file, the image does not transform properly when the georeferencing is updated, but will if it does not have an associated world file. Ex. An image with a world file that is georeferenced a second time.

The potential workarounds include 

• From the georeferencing toolbar, select the rectify option rather than 'update georeferencing'.
  • Deleting all associated files such as .rrd, .aux, .xml, that are external to the file being georeferenced, before executing the georeferencing process.

Hopefully this helps!

0 Kudos
LehkýMartin
New Contributor

Hi,
I have alomst the same problem, but nothing you write does not help. 

The first control point shifts image correctly, but the second rescale image and place it somewhere between these points. I tried to add third point, but it does not help.

I use ArcGis Pro 2.6.2. Is there any other option?

0 Kudos
JeanetteHarlow1
New Contributor III

Hello Taren,

Is there an update for this issue?  I have just upgraded to PRO 2.8 and the images are still disappearing.  This is before any georectification or updating takes place.  Basically immediately after resizing, when I move the item to it's approximate location, the image disappears, but the yellow move dot remains.  It only reappears after restarting the program.
Regarding your suggestions, in 2.8, I am not seeing a "rectify" option OR an "update georeferencing" item.  Also, deleting the associated files does not solve the issue.

KatherineWilson
New Contributor

I am having the same issues as Jeanette Harlow in ArcPro 2.9.  So doesn't seem to be fixed yet.

0 Kudos
AlastairKeith-Lucas
New Contributor II

Jeanette,

I neglected to update with what I'd found. While the above steps did not solve the problem, I did some experimentation and found that I could at least get blank images to reappear. What I did was I opened the Symbology pane for each image and changed the Primary Symbology from "RGB" (the default, I assume) to "Stretch". At some point in the year since I posted this question I stopped having the issue where georeferenced images would shoot off in a random direction; perhaps that's also solved by changing the symbology or was patched at some point. I hope that helps!

pkorst_coa
New Contributor III

--

Thank you for the suggestion, Alastair.  Changing the primary symbology from "RGB" to "Stretch" improved but did not fully solve the issue of raster images disappearing - until I changed the Stretch Type to None under the Data tab.  Then all of my georeferenced rasters would remain visible. 

Stretch Type to NoneStretch Type to None

(ArcGIS Pro 2.8.2)

Just wanted to mention this in case it may help anyone else with the issue.

--