ArcGIS Pro Python window can't locate geos_c.dll when importing shapely.geometry

05-07-2021 09:35 AM
dlund203
New Contributor II

I've been trying to run a Python script in the ArcGIS Pro 2.7.3 window using a cloned environment with shapely 1.6.4 installed. For some reason, every time I try to import shapely.geometry I get the following error:

OSError: Could not find lib geos_c.dll or load any of its variants ['C:\\ArcGISProEnvs\\arcgispro-py3-clone\\Library\\lib\\geos_c.dll'].

I've checked the directory it references and, indeed, there is no geos_c.dll located there. Instead, the dll seems to be located in ..\Library\bin\. When I try importing shapely.geometry from the Python command prompt (with the cloned environment activated) I can do so without issue. Why would the Python window inside Pro specifically be giving me this error? It may be worth mentioning that I recently updated ArcGIS Pro from 2.4, where this issue never showed up.

Here's what I've tried so far: 

Reinstalling shapely from the Python command prompt

Downgrading geos to v3.7.1

Pasting in a copy of geos_c.dll from \bin\ into \lib\

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What environment are you connect to when you are within Pro?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
dlund203
New Contributor II

I'm using the same cloned environment. Incidentally, I decided against using shapely altogether because of all the headaches it was causing me, but I'd still like to hear a solution just to satisfy my own curiosity!

0 Kudos