ArcGIS Pro Project will not open - gets stuck

07-20-2021 06:30 AM
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

I'm hoping that someone can help me because this issue pops up for me at least once a year.

Sometimes (at random), I will go and open up my Project and it will not open up all the way. The mouse pointer will just keep spinning and spinning. The map or layout that was previously open will be visible, but since the mouse is spinning, I cannot do anything or click anything. And the top toolbar will be greyed out as if it's not completely opened yet.

I save a Project per year, so the maps I've made throughout 2021 are in my current project and I cannot access them. I contacted ESRI support last year for the same issue with no solution found. All they suggested was to create a new project, which is a huge hassle because of everything I lose in the project. To me, this issue shouldn't be happening at all, and there needs to be a reason and a solution.

I found the following conversation and tried the solution marked with no success.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/arc-pro-project-will-not-open-and-is-hung/td-p/44...

I'm crossing my fingers so hard that someone can help me.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you make backups regularly?

If this is critical work, you should package your project at a time interval that you are comfortable losing all you work

Package Project (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

A project a year?  That is far too long with complete backups.  Your project will get sluggish as time progresses and eventually become unuseable.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thank you for replying. I'm unsure about the backups. I know that our IT staff has a default for their backups, but I don't know if that's different than backups for Pro.

How do you recommend going about creating projects? I've been using Pro since probably 2018 I would say, and that's always how I've done it. In the beginning of the year, I create a new project, set all my configurations, connections, etc. How do you go about your projects? I'm open to doing it a different way if it will avoid this issue.

Basically, whenever I get a map request from our dept, I go into that year's project into Pro and name the new map (ex: "21001") indicating the year and number of request. I probably only have up to 100 give or take per year. Is that still too much?

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

too many things to delve into but

• make a project "template" with all your "stuff"
  • monthly projects if you are getting 100+ requests
  • backups!
    • package your projects (arcgis pro)
    • project "save as"  (eg c:\.....\myproject_2021_06_12 ) as often as you feel comfortable.  In other words, if you don't mind losing a whole months worth of work, save once a month... if losing a days work would make you sad, save a backup every day
    • windows file explorer, backup everything and anything, get the IT people to backup any network data sources on an agreed upon schedule

hopefully others will wade in... but do what works for you 

(me?  I work on multiple computers, backing up frequently and I never work with data on a network, I only work with data stored locally and data which has several copies... distributing as needed when I am done.  But that is me.  If something goes wrong, it is me that did it 😉 and I go gardening

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos