ArcGIS Pro PDF export is including the polygon outlines when layout view is not

Jump to solution
07-17-2018 08:31 AM
ChazArmijo
New Contributor III

I'm attempting to export a PDF of a layout I created in ArcGIS Pro. The polygon features have had their outline turned off for better display. The features display as expected in layout view but after exporting to PDF, it looks as if the outlines are included - or maybe it's a render issue. Any ideas what's causing this and a way around it?

Thanks!!

ArcGIS Pro Layout View (no outline on parcel polygons)

PDF Export (polygons shown with outline)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ok so I was able to reproduce with graduated colors. Here's the problem: 

When you remove the outline color (set it to none), the outline width remains .7

Which is the line we're seeing the PDF. 

When you set the outline width to 0, the pdf lines disappear. This is something I've seen in Arc Map as well, depending on how you export, so I'm grudgingly not going to claim this is a bug, but a limitation of how Adobe renders the PDF. So the solution here is, when you truly want no polygon outlines, remove the color and set line width to 0. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm not getting your exact problem, but something similar where the source is a 10.5.1 Feature Service, with these export settings. Can you share the exact details of the source data (type, location, format, version), how it's symbolized, and how you're exporting it, and where you're exporting it?

Pro: 

PDF:

ChazArmijo
New Contributor III

The pictures you've included represent the issue i'm experiencing. Source data is a file geodatabase feature class, simple polygon, NAD 1983 StatePlane Texas Central FIPS 4203 Feet. Using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1. Exporting from ArcGIS Pro to Desktop

Symbology Details

Same export options as you 

Thanks

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you upgrade Pro to a later version (preferably 2.2.0) or install 2.2.0 on another machine (test machine) to see if this still occurs in a newer version of Pro?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ok so I was able to reproduce with graduated colors. Here's the problem: 

When you remove the outline color (set it to none), the outline width remains .7

Which is the line we're seeing the PDF. 

When you set the outline width to 0, the pdf lines disappear. This is something I've seen in Arc Map as well, depending on how you export, so I'm grudgingly not going to claim this is a bug, but a limitation of how Adobe renders the PDF. So the solution here is, when you truly want no polygon outlines, remove the color and set line width to 0. 

ChazArmijo
New Contributor III

Well that makes a lot of sense

PDF Export

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Nice work on finding the solution.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor