ArcGIS Pro opening read only projects even though no other projects open

10-15-2018 08:20 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm running ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3 and it keeps opening read only projects when I open projects for the first time. If I then close these and re-open it seems fine.

29 Replies
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

Mine appeared to be if Jupyter Notebook was running and accessing the document, this problem would happen if the code failed to run, like it wasn't releasing the lock on the document.  I'd have to close down Jupyter & all of it's processes before it'd fix the problem.

0 Kudos
SteveScott
New Contributor III

I am loading the document in a stand alone script and I think it is locking the document. How do I release the document in the python IDE?

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

I sometimes had success with ending the Python process in Windows Task Manager

0 Kudos
SteveScott
New Contributor III

I had to delete the connection to the portal from the registry.

0 Kudos
BrianCunningham2
New Contributor III

According to the ESRI documentation, you should be able to delete the lock from the Python script to the aprx file by using the 'del aprx_variable' command.  I have this at the end of my script(s) and still run into the issue where I have to shutdown my IDE in order to actually release the lock on the project file. *shrugs*

AndrewCroisier
New Contributor III

I encountered this issue while using a remote desktop connection and running ArcGIS Pro on a server. 

I had created my original project with Pro 2.4.2, and the server had Pro 2.4.1. 

When I opened the project I had created on my desktop with Pro 2.4.1, the file became read-only. Trying to save the project by overwriting the original project with the same name led to an error (I can't remember which one exactly.) To solve the issue, I saved the project a second time with a different name, and deleted the original project created in 2.4.1. 

It's been working so far.

MichaelTorbett
Occasional Contributor II

I'm on Pro version 5.2 and had this same issue on a VM through remote desktop. For me what I discovered was that even though I had closed all ArcGIS Pro projects, it was still running in python. So I went into Task Manager and  closed all python background processes and this resolved the read only issue.

I hope this helps someone.

Michael 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you have a python process running when you closed the project?

If not, do you know how long the background python processes run for after the aprx file is closed?

0 Kudos
MichaelTorbett
Occasional Contributor II

I had a python script open first  and then I went to open Pro before closing the script. That's when I encountered the Read Only issue. Even though I closed both programs, python was still running in the background and it was holding onto my Pro project.

0 Kudos
ElenaValdesReyes
New Contributor

Hey, this might be because you have unsaved edits in your original project. When you then try to save further edits (in a read-only version), ArcGIS won't let you save those to the original. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos