ArcGIS Pro not loading world file with .PNG image

03-26-2019 07:34 AM
DashtonPeccia
New Contributor

Hi everyone, 

I am fairly new to GIS, and brand new to ArcGIS Pro (Came from ArcMap) so forgive me if the answer is glaringly obvious.  I recently created a visual basic program that generates an image from the Google Static Maps API with a respective ESRI world file (.PGW).  Below is an example image with the corresponding world file: 

The image is named "staticmap.png" and the world file is "staticmap.pgw", they are both saved in the same folder.  I first tried assigning the "Mercador Wab Map" projection to the image before loading it in my map.  Here are some of the things I've tried so far: 

• Loading it in without the world file present, it loads in the Pacific Ocean.  
  • Assigning the Mercador Web Map and then loading the image with world file in my map, which results in it appearing outside of Africa (it should be in southern oregon).  
  • Deleting all references to the image / world file in ArcGIS Pro and regenerating both, loading into my map without a projection (It loads in the same spot it loaded without a world file present).  This step convinced me that the program is ignoring my world file for some reason, maybe I wrote it incorrectly? 
  • Tried it in ArcMap with the same results. 

If anyone is able to help me with this issue it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!  

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DashtonPeccia
New Contributor

A poster was able to answer my question here: 

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/316758/arcgis-pro-not-loading-associated-world-file-with-png...

Dashton, I can point the error, ArcGIS IS reading your pgw file. Your file points the x1, y1 point (the two last numbers in your pgw file) to -122.8704705, 42.4147755, which is in Web Mercator, near Africa. When it should be pointing to something like -13396443.965, 5568945.439 (coordinates near Oregon).