ArcGIS Pro: Not all my fields in Excel sheet are showing up

Jump to solution
11-05-2019 09:05 AM
KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to create a point feature class with an Excel spreadsheet in ArcGIS Pro.  The trouble is it is only carrying over 255 of my fields where I have 522.  How can I have ArcGIS Pro recognize all of my fields?  When I right click on the sheet in the catalog, the field list only shows the first 255.  So it is not the geoproccessing tools.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GarrettSeay1
New Contributor III

Did you use the Excel to Table tool? Excel To Table—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Then just plot the points after it is in table format.

I used the Excel to Table and it looked like it pulled in all the columns from your sheet.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what version of excel file?

Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—Excel | ArcGIS Desktop 

.xls or .xlsx?

There are differ limits based on excel type

KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

It is an .xlsx interesting since the documentation reads:

"ArcGIS supports both Excel 2003 and earlier .xls files and Excel 2007 .xlsx files. One advantage of Excel 2007 is that it allows much larger worksheets (1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns) than you can have in Excel 2003 (65,536 rows by 256 columns)."

The behavior I am seeing is that of an .xls file.

I did a file save as and made sure it was an .xlsx file and tried again.  Failed again.

There are 522 columns and 908 rows.  See attached sheet.

0 Kudos
GarrettSeay1
New Contributor III

Did you use the Excel to Table tool? Excel To Table—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Then just plot the points after it is in table format.

I used the Excel to Table and it looked like it pulled in all the columns from your sheet.

KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Garrett!  This worked well.

GarrettSeay1
New Contributor III

This may help as well: Understanding how to use Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop

This discussing things to keep in mind when using excel in ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

This website states:

"If you have an .xlsx file you want to use in ArcGIS but do not have Excel 2007 installed, you will need to install the 2007 Office System Driver. It can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center. If you have Microsoft Excel 2010 or no version of Microsoft Excel installed, you must install the 2007 driver before you can use either .xls or .xlsx files."

This may be the issue for me I have Windows 10 using Excel 2016.

0 Kudos