ArcGIS Pro Named User: Authorized Online not Active In Pro

Jump to solution
08-27-2019 12:46 PM
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

I have ArcGIS Pro Standard (and 3D Analyst Extension) authorized by an Administrator online through the Organization portal.   Now all of a sudden the Named User License is not syncing with the permissions set online through www.arcgis.com (Organization > Licensing interface) and my license level is Basic with no extensions... 

I have double checked that my user account has the correct licenses activated (see screenshots) but seems that Pro is not activating them. This was working up until a few months ago.  Currently license has been stuck Basic and there is seemingly no way to activate Standard or 3D Analyst through the ArcGIS Online portal.

Furthermore, I also have this exact same issue on another account with a different organization (Advanced license, all extensions) which again, when logging into this account, Pro does not activate and remains at Basic license.  This was not the case up until a few months ago as well (its been a while since I logged into Pro with this account, but the last time I did, I had Advanced and all extensions activated).

Please advise (see screenshots attached). I am on ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 and seems the issue could have begun with the last update but may not be related?

UPDATE: Uninstalling 2.4.1, installing 2.3 and then patching back up to 2.4.1 worked temporarily but the problem has returned.  This is not isolated to one account as I have logged in with a different organization/maintenance contract and have the same issue

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TylerSchwartz2

I figured out the issue:

ArcGIS Pro does not update licensing permissions when logging in/out of different accounts. You need to logout in order to get the appropriate license for the account you desire.

On a side but likely related note: this behavior is also present when logging into a different online account and then adding data from Portal - it still sees data from the previously logged in account, NOT the currently logged in account (unless you manually F5 to refresh)...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TylerSchwartz2

I uninstalled 2.4.1 and reinstalled 2.3.0 and my licensing works again.   I then re-patched back up to 2.4.1 and licensing is still working - apparently an issue with the initial upgrade to 2.4.1 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

That is a really big jump to that conclusion that 2.4 breaks named user extensions.  I haven't heard anything like that... I would definitely recommend maybe first contacting customer service to see if there are any account issues that might be causing this and then it may be necessary to work with technical support.

TylerSchwartz2

I re-upgraded back up to 2.4.1 and the licensing is working as intended. 

I am not sure what the issue may have been, I usually always update Pro as soon as an update becomes available.  Perhaps something went wrong with the update the last time I updated which did not occur this time - hard to say...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks.  Please do circle back.

Just did a 'lil sanity check.

Turn it off in ArcGIS Online (note that I have to close/re-open Pro to fully pick up license changes):

TylerSchwartz2

So I started up Pro 2.4.1 again this morning and the problem has returned...  When I get time between projects I will contact support but this is really bizzare...

0 Kudos
TylerSchwartz2

I figured out the issue:

ArcGIS Pro does not update licensing permissions when logging in/out of different accounts. You need to logout in order to get the appropriate license for the account you desire.

On a side but likely related note: this behavior is also present when logging into a different online account and then adding data from Portal - it still sees data from the previously logged in account, NOT the currently logged in account (unless you manually F5 to refresh)...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Glad you were able to get to the bottom of this, Tyler.   Yes, this is the known and expected behavior.  The app has to close and reopen to pick up new licensing info.

0 Kudos
TylerSchwartz2

Thanks Kory, thats very interesting.

I did a bit of further testing on this and I am wondering if you are aware of the following:

I can log into an account that has a standard license, log out and back in as a different user with basic license (but still retaining the Standard License and features).  Then, someone else in my organization logs into Pro with that same Standard license account and yet, we both have simultaneous access to a sole Standard license (tools extensions etc). This could potentially be repeated for as many accounts as needed by logging in with the Standard account and then logging out and back in with the Basic account.

Maybe I am missing something here but to me that seems like quite a loophole wherein an organization or group of individuals could all simultaneously share a singular Advanced/Standard license and/or extensions?  Are you positive this is by design?

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Tyler,

With ArcGIS Pro Named User license, you're allow to start ArcGIS Pro on three separate machine or session per license.  An attempt on the fourth machine will fail.  You don't need to log in and out on the same session.  Simply start ArcGIS Pro on three separate systems using the same account.  

If you take the license offline, its only good on that system.  You will get an error message if you attempt to start Pro on another machine using the same account until you return the offline license.