ArcGIS Pro: Most Cumbersome

07-10-2018 07:18 AM
KelseyKatro
New Contributor II

Who designed ArcGIS Pro? 

It is absolutely the most cumbersome piece of software I have ever used!

It is so poorly designed compared to ArcMap, which is awesome. QGIS is not as difficult as ArcGIS Pro.

I have a strong feeling, if something is not done to correct this piece of shist, it will go the way of the dodo!!!!

It has such a huge learning curve and poor functionality I am sure most will reject it and you will need to keep making ArcMap. 

The whole Microsoft toolbar approach is absurd. It may work on small programs such as Word or Excel, but using it on software as complex as ArcGIS Pro........not a chance for success. My work takes twice as long to do with Pro and I am sure this feeling is not mutually exclusive.

Give me ArcMap or Give me Death!!!!

Tags (2)
87 Replies
johnmosheim1
New Contributor III

Hi Esri:

I just wanted to reflect on the numerous opinions and posts that I've seen on the Pro version in the last many months and that I've seen enough very sincere comments regarding the need to "improve" the Pro version that its hard to ignore them, --in my opinion it merits a close and critical look by the software design/usability team and maybe bring a focus group of users to go through the software as well w ESRI...some thoughts...and only good could result from it.

Best,

John Mosheim

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

The thing is that ESRI *HAS* been doing holistic testing & running software beta programs for years and yet, here we are with a program designed to make maps in which you can't display printer margins. I have no idea how so many things slipped through the process of creating the "next generation" of GIS software.

TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

We need to get Pro speeds on par with ArcMap, that will take care of 80% of the issues I personally have with Pro.  Its just way slower than ArcMap and that should not be the case.  The other 20% are the bugs and crashes that continue to persist update after update.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you find the same slowness with enterprise gdbs (SDE) and file gdbs?  If you only find slowness with SDE, what type of database do you use (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server)?

Have you tried to join the Pro 2.3 Early Adopter program to see if ESRI has addressed the slowness issues that you are seeing?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I recently had to go to our national ESRI office to discuss performance.

I was told that the problem was my data. And sure enough, performance was awesome when using only new fresh GDB's.

THen my GIS software can't interect with our other software... detail...

So ESRI basically pulled an Apple on me. "You are the weak link."

I feel that ArcGIS Pro is the best thing that happened to QGIS.

VladimirStojanovic
New Contributor III

Hey Mathias Kusk‌, great comment! Absolutely hilarious, thank you for that!

0 Kudos
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

You might get a kick out of my 'Rant' and hijacking here .... https://community.esri.com/thread/210036-connecting-ms-access-to-arcgis-pro 

0 Kudos
LorinCrandall1
New Contributor III

My experience with Pro has been very negative, especially in a fast-paced environment where I am not given the time to learn a whole new way of doing things. Nearly every time I try get to work in Pro I wind up spending hours trying to sort out how to do what takes minutes to do in desktop right now. Also invested heavily in a graduate GIS certificate that was taught entirely in desktop. Considering just abandoning ESRI altogether and making the transition to QGIS ahead of the 2020 abandonment of desktop support. In many of the new intricacies, I find myself believing more and more that this whole 'Pro' move was designed to sell a lot of training courses and materials. The ONLY thing I like about Pro more than desktop is not being trapped in a tiny, un-resizable layer properties window trying to work with complex themes. I can't really fathom why ESRI never made the layer properties menu resizeable, truly baffling.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Lorin:

Can you go to this thread:

and provide the 3 or 4 most important reasons that you are not migrating to Pro?

0 Kudos
LorinCrandall1
New Contributor III

I will go ahead and make sure my version of Pro is up to date, go for a swim and report back on my experience on the thread you posted. But before I do that please explain why the Layer Properties window in ArcGIS Desktop has never been re-sizeable, this is something that has bothered me severely for years, it is just such an obvious UI issue.