ArcGIS Pro modified feature is deleted

Jump to solution
11-15-2019 08:32 AM
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

What are your workflows to modify parcels in ArcGIS Pro? Not a Parcel Fabric, I am using traditional parcel polygons and lines with topology rules.

Do I have unrealistic expectations for these tools? Should I be using a different tool to accomplish the same task?

I am in Pro 2.4.2, using locally stored data in a File Geodatabase. 

The tools that are misbehaving and their behavior is as follows:

Modify Features > Divide > Split:

Using Interactive split, I select the line I wish to split, and click the location where I wish the line to be split. The expected behavior for this tool is to split the line, creating two separate line features. In reality, the tool deleted the entire line. 

Using By Feature split, I select the Input Feature; the line that will act as the split point, and I select the Target Feature as the line that will be split. The tool completely deleted the target feature instead of splitting it into two features.

The line I am attempting to split is considered a "Dangle", and I will be deleting the small segment that is split off from the main feature anyway, so lets try the "Extend or Trim" tool.

Modify Features > Reshape > Extend or Trim:

Select the line to be modified, select the dangle to be trimmed, the segment turns gray with dashed lines indicating the correct segment is selected. However, the extend or trim failed for unknown reasons.

The Error Inspector can handle dangles!

Error Inspector

Topology Rules are as follows and have worked flawlessly in ArcMap.

Polygons must not have gaps or overlaps and must be covered by lines.

Lines must not Overlap, Intersect, have dangles, must be covered by Polygons, and must not intersect or touch interior.

Selecting the Error "Must Not Intersect or Touch Interior" (which ensures that all line segments terminate at an intersection with another line) and selecting the fix "Split", completely deletes the offending line feature instead of splitting it at the intersection as it does in ArcMap.

I was not able to attempt fixing other errors as the Error Inspector locked up and became unresponsive. In the meantime, I hopped onto ArcMap and fixed all errors without hassle with several clicks...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Sure thing! If the clearing the display cache does not resolve it: One thing that we thought of - are you using domains, and perhaps symbolizing the features by the domain field?

The reason I ask is because when you split a feature, Pro respects the split policy that is defined on the source geodatabase. This is mentioned in the documentation for the Split tool: Split a feature—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

More on Split policies: Introduction to attribute domains—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

-Scott

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Paul,

That's certainly odd behavior that I haven't experienced myself before, but it seems a bit similar to the behavior described in this thread: Getting edits to show up immediately ArcGIS Pro  

Please try the solution of clearing the cache and test the Split again.

A few questions:

What version of Pro?

What is the source of the data? (File Geodatabase, Enterprise Geodatabase, Feature Service, etc.)

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

Scott, thank you for the suggestion and similar issue!

I am currently using Pro 2.4.2, and the data is locally stored in a File Geodatabase. The map was originally added to Pro using the Import and Open option with my ArcMap .mxd.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Sure thing! If the clearing the display cache does not resolve it: One thing that we thought of - are you using domains, and perhaps symbolizing the features by the domain field?

The reason I ask is because when you split a feature, Pro respects the split policy that is defined on the source geodatabase. This is mentioned in the documentation for the Split tool: Split a feature—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

More on Split policies: Introduction to attribute domains—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

-Scott

Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

Scott, it ended up being the Domain default settings. In addition, the feature itself needs to have a default set. 

What ended up working was ensuring that these settings are established.

-Domain Split Policy

If set to default, then a default must also be set under the feature attribute that uses this domain. (Fields: Default)

If set to duplicate, then this simply duplicates whatever template the original feature uses.

I found that if a default is not set for that attribute field when the split policy is default, then the feature that is modified is simply appears to be deleted.

Not only does this seem to have fixed the splitting issue, but also the extend or trim issue and topology issues.

PhilSanchez
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul,

Splitting a feature does not result in the deletion of any features. As you mentioned, if the Split Policy is set to Default and the field does not use a default value for the domain, it will be set to <null> (assuming the field is nullable).

Can you confirm if this layer uses a Definition Query that is excluding features if this particular field value is <null>? Another thing worth checking is if you’re using unique value rendering based on this field and ‘all other values’ is not symbolized. If so, then this would explain why the features appear to be missing.

If not, then we definitely want to look into your issue further since features should not be deleted after they are split.

Thanks,

Phil

Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

Phil,

Thank you for the additional insight!

The layer does not use a Definition Query, however, I did not have "all other values" symbology enabled and that disparity was the cause for the line to disappear from view.

Much appreciated!