ArcGIS Pro Locator Reverse Geocode Unexpected Behavior

Jump to solution
11-29-2023 11:01 AM
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

We are moving our Enterprise GIS environment to 11.1, and have migrated to ArcGIS Pro-created files to publish. I have noticed a strange behavior with a StreetAddress locator set up in Pro compared with the US Dual Range Address locator. We have some road segments that represent divided, one-way streets, so either the right or left to and from attributes are blank. With the ArcGIS Desktop locator, you could reverse geocode a location on either side of the road and get the same address result. With ArcGIS Pro, if you reverse gc a location on the left side of a road that has left from/to set to 0, the result will be 0 Street name or 0-0 Street name. Is there a setting that can make this work like it did in Desktop, or does this require overhauling our data? How does that affect Next-Gen e911 compatibility?

@ShanaBritt  I'm hoping you have a solution for this. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

After discussing with my Account Manager and hearing from the Product Team, I was directed to create an enhancement for this. The info is below. Please request to be added if you also require this functionality.

ENH-000164075: Enhance the performance of the New Street address locator role to return addresses where no house numbers are defined similar to the Desktop locators (Classic Locator: Dual Range street).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@TonyContreras_Frisco_TX So are you expecting to get the result in the ValideSide image when the input location for reverse is on the side of the street that has no house number range? If there is no house number range (0 or empty) for one side of the street I would expect the reverse match to be a StreetName addr_type instead of a StreetAddress type with "0 Street Name" or "0-0 Street Name". There are no locator settings to control this behavior.

Which version of ArcGIS Pro and Enterprise are you currently using?

I'm not sure how the current behavior affects Next-Gen e911 compatibility, I'd have to look into that.

0 Kudos
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

Yes, that is how the Desktop locator had been working. Reverse geocoding a location on either side would return a valid address in the range of that segment. returning a StreetName addr_type would not be helpful as most of the streets that are experiencing this issue are miles long, so that does not help in identifying location.

The workaround I have implemented is to export the road feature class to a file geodatabase, and do the following:

1. Select road segments where left to and left from are 0
  2. Calculate the left fields to equal their right side equivalent
  3. Make a new selection of road segments where right to and right from are 0
  4. Calculate the right fields to equal their left side equivalent

Then I built the locator with this feature class, but the settings This allows the same result returned for locations on either side of the street and from preliminary tests, geocoding still returns locations on the correct side of the street. I hope I'm not missing anything that could cause problems.

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.1 and Enterprise 11.1

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

For location do you want the xy coordinate or the street address returned? Is this locator going to be used in a web map, mobile app, in ArcGIS Pro, or via REST requests?

0 Kudos
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

For reverse geocode, I want an address returned. The service will also be used for regular geocoding where an address is sent, I want an x,y returned. It will be accessed mostly via REST requests.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

To  clarify, for reverse you want an address returned and not the xy? When I interactively reverse geocode in ArcGIS Pro I get the xy coordinate returned as part of the result whether it's a StreetAddress or StreetName match for reverse. Are the REST requests from using the REST endpoint or requests in applications? Are you able to provide an example of the app using the REST requests?

0 Kudos
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

Yes, I would like an address returned from the reverse geocode operation, as explained here. I sent a private message with a sample URL and info on the apps using the service. 

0 Kudos
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

After discussing with my Account Manager and hearing from the Product Team, I was directed to create an enhancement for this. The info is below. Please request to be added if you also require this functionality.

ENH-000164075: Enhance the performance of the New Street address locator role to return addresses where no house numbers are defined similar to the Desktop locators (Classic Locator: Dual Range street).

0 Kudos