Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Locate tool does not work with certain Feature Classes

01-27-2022 09:05 AM
Labels (1)
Clayton-Cooley
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to create a mobile map package for Navigator for ArcGIS. In the process of setting up my Locator tool to search for features within the map, I noticed that the Locate tool in ArcGIS Pro will not work with some of my feature classes. I've gone through the process of going to Provider Settings, Configure for Locate,  Selecting a layer, then selecting the field I want to search, and choosing Contains for the Search Mode. I've also added an Index to the layer using the field of interest but that hasn't helped. 

A few things to note:

1) This layer is a feature class in our Enterprise SDE

2) The locate tool works with other features classes, but not all.

3) The SDE is being hosted on an AWS server, if that matters.

This post from 2018 Solved: Locate not working - Esri Community is marked as solved, but the solution did not seem to help me.

19 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@RandyKreuziger1 Do you only encounter the behavior with an event layer created from a SQL Server table view? I re-tested and was able to reproduce with a csv table. Is using the XY Table to Point tool a viable workaround for you?

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger1
Frequent Contributor

@ShanaBritt  we have lots of XY data stored in non-spatial SQL databases (both tables and database views)  that we get to through layer files.  Using layer files users don't need to know where the data is and therefore the data is always up to date.  The data is used daily by  maybe a dozen users.  Using the XY Table to Point tool would require each user to turn it into a table everyday just for one table so this is not an option.

The Locate in Pro is the equivalent of Find in ArcMap.  This issue is going to delay out migration to Pro. 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the additional info Randy.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@RandyKreuziger1 I had additional questions for you about your workflow. Are your users searching for features or just attributes in a non-spatial table? What do the users do with the result in the Find tool in ArcMap? Are the users able to search the table and database views w/o creating the in-meomory XY Event Layer?

-Shana

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger1
Frequent Contributor

@ShanaBritt , The data is not in a spatial table but contains x,y values.  Once the user creates the XY Event the data displays in the map, however, the identify function doesn't work nor the locate.  User use the Find in ArcMap to zoom to a record/point based on the ID or other field.  There are several hundred point locations so when they need to go to the point Find in AM works.  The Locate in Pro, which is supposed to replace the Find, doesn't do anything with XY Event Sources breaking the entire workflow for these datasources.

The workaround ESRI added to the ESRI bug says to have the user convert the data into a point feature class but this does not replace the functionality.  We have around 20 users who use this data each day and the data is updated daily.  The workaround would require this table, and others,  to be converted to a feature class on a daily basis.  Not doable.

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger1
Frequent Contributor

To anyone experiencing this issue, the first word from ESRI was that it was too late to get it into Pro 3.0 but that it would be included in 3.1.  Now that 3.1 has been released without this bug fixed, the word is that there is no plan to fix it in Pro 3.2.  Very disappointing!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Randy - I did look into BUG-000152919 to determine its status.  It's marked "In Product Plan" to fix the bug but it does not state when.  I realize this is not what you're looking for rather just an update for you.

0 Kudos
Y_Chau
by
Frequent Contributor

I found this post when searching for the problem I am facing. I am doing the exact same thing as @Clayton-Cooley except that my layers are in a GDB. I face this issue with one layer only. I exported the layer to a new FC and the problem disappeared. After one year, any progress on why this happens?

Sincerely

0 Kudos
Y_Chau
by
Frequent Contributor

On further testing I found why this is happening to me, I am not sure about others though. I added a new field to the feature class while it was being used in locate. After that I could not use locate function on that layer. Probably changing the schema while the layer was in locate confused it. After this nothing can make it work except exporting to a new FC.

Update: Even after exporting if I rename the layer to the original FC name, it refuses to work in Locate. That's a series of bugs, not one.

Sincerely

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Are there any warnings or error messages in the case where you have renamed the exported layer? What version of ArcGIS Pro are you finding this behavior in? In your workflow is your layer configured and you are using the Locate tab of the Locate pane or are  you using the Layer Search tab of the Locate pane?

-Shana

0 Kudos