ArcGIS Pro License : Subscription license - will expire when maintenance stops

Jump to solution
03-24-2015 07:15 PM
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Peoples,

After discussions with Esri Australia, it is our understanding ArcGIS Pro is only available as a subscription, cloud based license that will expire if you choose to stop paying maintenance.  This would appear to be a paradigm shift in the current permanent license model.

It is also striking there appears to be no Esri documentation spelling this out.

Were other people aware that ArcGIS Pro is a cloud based subscription license, that expires if you stop maintenance?

What do you think?

Additional notes:

ArcGIS Pro licensing:
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis-pro/licensing

Cheers,

Mark

54 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Luke - per my discussions with the Pro Dev Team, they said that "coming in 1.2, customers can request to use Single Use, Concurrent Use, or Named Users.  In fact, customers don't have to wait until their maintenance times out to request the appropriate license for their site."  A blog post has not been written yet but there will be in the near future - so soon.  Hope this helps.

mattwilkie

When the announcement is made please update this thread as well. I get notifications here but not for the blog (trying to keep my inbox flood manageable!).

Thanks.

MarkChilcott

Hi Peoples,

Here is all the information you need about the ArcGIS Pro licensing in 10.4

More Licensing Options for ArcGIS Pro

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2016/02/05/more-licensing-options-for-arcgis-pro/

Cheers,

Mark

GraemeBrowning

Hi Mark

One thing that video does not mention is Single Use licenses. 

It clarifies Named Users and Concurrent Licenses but does not describe how someone with a Single Use license (like me) continues to access ArcGIS Pro if/when their Maintenance lapses.

I hope it is not suggesting that the simplified licensing that Single Use provided will be converted into Concurrent Licensing for one, and require the running of a license manager.

I hope someone from Esri can clear that up because I suspect that your concerns were around Concurrent whereas mine were around Single Use.

- Graeme

WoodyHynes
Esri Contributor

Hi Graeme,

Single Use licensing will be an option as well.  With the addition of this option, if you are unable to remain on maintenance, you can choose to have your ArcGIS Pro license "locked" to one machine.

Think of it this way, the licensing options that you currently have with ArcMap/ArcCatalog are now options for you with ArcGIS Pro (in addition to Named User licensing).

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks!
Woody

mattwilkie

Thanks Woody.

Though we'll be interested in having some machines on Single Use even while maintenance is active and current. Not everywhere has reliable internet.

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning

Thanks Woody

That's exactly what I was hoping the situation would be.

- Graeme

0 Kudos
WoodyHynes
Esri Contributor

Please see the instructions on managing your ArcGIS Pro licenses here: Manage ArcGIS Pro licenses—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Thanks!
Woody

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What if you want to switch a computer assigned a single use license?  Is there a de-authorize button like for current ArcGIS for Desktop single use licenses?

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

Just as a side note, if you have ArcGIS License Manager 10.4.5026 (which came with prerelease 10.4) you need to uninstall it and load the production 10.4.5524 version.

It is interesting to see that ArcPro now has its own license codes instead of using those for ArcInfo, ArcEditor, ArcView, etc. You have to provision these from my.esri.com and then authorize on your license server seperatly from your Desktop licenses.

Rich

0 Kudos